Transforming pool into pond

Reaction score
Here's one. My neighbor's cat adopted me. Starting to see some signs of varmints mucking around in the pots and wishing I had a full cover over the pool.
catpond.jpg

Reaction score
I need to get a big pond vac. I just went snorkeling with my GoPro. I should have taken my dive camera. I need a dive belt too. Here's one pic of a couple of my Goldies and one of my new Myriophyllums. They grow a few inches a day at least:
myrio.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How big is that pool? What a nice home for the fish it makes but it would kill me to turn a pool into a pond...............I've wanted a pool forever!

Reaction score
How big is that pool? What a nice home for the fish it makes but it would kill me to turn a pool into a pond...............I've wanted a pool forever!
I think it's 20,000g-ish. The thing is, I had no interest in it when it was just a pool. It just cost me money. Now I have something I can have some fun with. I grew up in Michigan with all kinds of small lakes to swim and snorkel in, so this kind of takes me back home :razz: .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pools are a pain jw, I have had two, still have one, pay every month to have it cared for. The renters have no clue on how to babysit the pool. In your area, unless you like cold swimming, you would not be in it much. This body likes warm water for swimming.........lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So true addy and if I want to swim on a hot day the river has a nice spot down the way from us to take a dip free of charge!

Reaction score
Still seeing lots of new fry in my pond. Interestingly, I now have a saltwater tank with a brood of nine Black Lyretail Mollies. Unfortunately I think the male got caught in the plumbing and the female seems to have expired giving birth. At least the fry appear healthy.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hopefully the fry won't take after their parents and will live a nice fruitful life!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never saw the need for a pool when my kids were little .Plus insurance on pools in NJ was outrages and then on top of that taxes and you need a 6 foot fence all around and an alarm on the pool gate .Them you got hit by the high electric bill and the chemical bill .Wow what a pool could do to you .Then when you go to sell the house you get people who either love them or hate them and then they want to make you warranty them for a year at your cost .

Reaction score
So, I just turned my pool filter back on. It's a digital Pentair unit so I can turn it way down. The pond was completely covered in DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbons). At least the stock pool skimmer is showing itself to be an excellent DOC trap. I've started doing some water changes to get some of the pool chemicals out of the system. I think some of them have almost killed off some Hyacinths I bought. Some other ones are doing wonderfully in my 55g freshwater tank, so I dropped them in there to see if I can save them.
I'm going to have to invest in an actual pond filter. I'm seeing lots and lots of fry, probably mostly Gambusia.

Ask a Question