tubing fitting issue

Reaction score
I am in the midst of making a bio filter and starting to gather the parts. I purchased a laguna maxflo and it has several outlet size, i am using 1 inch. On my bio filter i purchased the 1 inch bulkhead fitting. attached to the bulkhead fitting is a 1 inch PVC pipe, which is the inlet. I am trying to find a tubing that will allow me to fit it over the PVC pipe so i can clamp it on, but all the tubing the found is the exact same size (diameter) as the 1 inch tubing. Is there a tubing slighting larger than the 1 inch so i can put it around the pvc pipe? how did you guys solve this issue?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used sump pump hose and it fits over 1 inch pvc .This is a piece of the sump pump hose i had left and I had just threw it in the stock tank because it started to rain .I bought mine at lowes for less then 10 dollars and has been working on my pond for over a year

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I've had the biggest problem doing that too. There are a few things you can do:
1) Instead of using PVC pipe, try the drainage pipes, they're black and are measured differently (inside diameter vs. outside or something like that).
2) Use a hair dryer on the tubing, it makes it expand a little.
3) Use a file to file down the PVC to make it fit.

PS, can you take a pic of the said parts?

Reaction score
The reason they don't make hose to fit over PVC pipe is because there's nothing on the PVC pipe to stop the hose from slipping off. You can do it, and the hose might stay on forever, or it might pop off tomorrow.

Barbed fittings are made for clamping on a hose. So you glue a male or female threaded adapter onto the PVC. Then get a barbed fitting that has the opposite sex thread on the other end. At least that's how these things are designed to work.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have done similar to what wb is stating, glued on a treaded fitting to the pvc, the male thread, the other tube I used slipped over the male thread. Then I used a stainless steel hose clamp to make sure it did not fall off.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
should have taken pic of it connected

Attachments

• house 2012 006.JPG
    house 2012 006.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 436
  • house 2012 007.JPG
    house 2012 007.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 476
  • house 2012 008.JPG
    house 2012 008.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 304

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
1" pond hose will clamp securely on 3/4" pvc...1&1/4" pond hose will clamp on 1pvc....done it many times with no problem! helpfull hint: wrap the hose with electrical tape (5 or 6 layers thick) snugly where you intend to put the clamp helps even out the clamps pressure andf cushions the hose.

Reaction score
There's never a problem until there's a problem. Then there's a problem. But of course a low pressure will rarely have a problem. It's more on the higher pressure lines if there's vibration that risk increases.

Reaction score
Plumping department. But they may not have 1". PlumbingSupply.com has them. I so hate going into Lowes and Home Depot...such a waste of time walking up and down every row looking for something. I think I'll live an extra 2 two years by ordering online rather going into the big box stores.

Reaction score
I've bought 1 1/2 barbed fittings from Lowes, I know that for a fact. I prefer ordering onlune roo, but I usually need then because of miscalculation and need it NOW!!! Yes, they are in plumbing. If I remember right (been over a year) I found them where the sump pump hoses and stuff like that were.

Ask a Question