Turtle baskin isle or "floating log"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
don't bother, Boss; trust me, done did and didn't last. You need cork bark, like Dime has shown. It'll last a lot longer. The maple stuff will soak up water and then it'll lie low in the water. Any turtle (or other creature) climbing up will lower it even more. And I bet I didn't get a season out of it. C O R K B A R K. That's what you use.

Btw, Dime, that's a good load of bark; think it cost me like $25-$35 for that much. More expensive than I'd have thought but I ordered from a reptile supply place, so maybe that's the markup. When I was looking, it wasn't the holiday season; I may have to go visting a craft store this week and stock up. I used to have smaller (not large enough for turtles basking, esp 4 of them) pieces for orchids. Cobbled up some together and put them on a styrofoam base. That was MY cork floaty v1. This last is ONE piece, approx 12" by 20", so enough for turtle growth in the future.
25-35? o-O i paid 8-9 euros for all 3 packages...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
don't bother, Boss; trust me, done did and didn't last. You need cork bark, like Dime has shown. It'll last a lot longer. The maple stuff will soak up water and then it'll lie low in the water. Any turtle (or other creature) climbing up will lower it even more. And I bet I didn't get a season out of it. C O R K B A R K. That's what you use.

Btw, Dime, that's a good load of bark; think it cost me like $25-$35 for that much. More expensive than I'd have thought but I ordered from a reptile supply place, so maybe that's the markup. When I was looking, it wasn't the holiday season; I may have to go visting a craft store this week and stock up. I used to have smaller (not large enough for turtles basking, esp 4 of them) pieces for orchids. Cobbled up some together and put them on a styrofoam base. That was MY cork floaty v1. This last is ONE piece, approx 12" by 20", so enough for turtle growth in the future.
my pieces all together is around 60x30 cm, tomorrow with light i will measure exactly. ;)
here, in all shops of any kind, after 25th will be sale off with -40 or -50% so is time to buy cork barks :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
1640572199037.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The maple stuff will soak up water and then it'll lie low in the water.
It will draped over the edge of the hot tub. Not in the water. More to hide the edge than have floating areas. Turtles etc can't get in that tub neither can frogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yea, but no way to arrive to the water...my pond is small so can check easily all the net
you might be surprised; I've seen herons fly over fencing like that and land IN the water. As long as they can take-off, they feel safe. Just be watching. The first time you lose fish to one will be the moment you wish you'd have covered it earlier! I know I've mentioned in other threads; you can put up 2 poles, one at each end of the pond, like 6' tall. String a cable from one to the other. This is the apex of your 'pond tent' and you'd slide it to one side when you're there enjoying the pond and slide if back when you leave. Easy peasy and not costly at all. Lots of peace of mind. And you'd think small ponds would avoid detection, but as I said, I have one customer with maybe 150 gallons in his pond and I've twice now seen a heron by it and he's lost fish almost every other year at a minimum. Keeps buying new fish despite I tell him how NOT to lose them!

Even had a heron try to figure out if it could get into MY pondhouse; and it can see from the air it's enclosed but it tried anyhow, walking all the way around, lookking for a way in!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
you might be surprised; I've seen herons fly over fencing like that and land IN the water. As long as they can take-off, they feel safe. Just be watching. The first time you lose fish to one will be the moment you wish you'd have covered it earlier! I know I've mentioned in other threads; you can put up 2 poles, one at each end of the pond, like 6' tall. String a cable from one to the other. This is the apex of your 'pond tent' and you'd slide it to one side when you're there enjoying the pond and slide if back when you leave. Easy peasy and not costly at all. Lots of peace of mind. And you'd think small ponds would avoid detection, but as I said, I have one customer with maybe 150 gallons in his pond and I've twice now seen a heron by it and he's lost fish almost every other year at a minimum. Keeps buying new fish despite I tell him how NOT to lose them!

Even had a heron try to figure out if it could get into MY pondhouse; and it can see from the air it's enclosed but it tried anyhow, walking all the way around, lookking for a way in!
Will be season for heron in the oven...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've seen herons fly over fencing like that and land IN the water. As long as they can take-off, they feel safe. Just be watching.
Hey our heron learned how to duck under the few edges of the net that was not anchored down. Crawl under , be under the pond net, ie could not fly away quick and fish. The one time I went out and spooked it, it went right back under the net edge and flew away like it was no biggy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey our heron learned how to duck under the few edges of the net that was not anchored down. Crawl under , be under the pond net, ie could not fly away quick and fish. The one time I went out and spooked it, it went right back under the net edge and flew away like it was no biggy.
well, you gots Maryland herons--they're trained to a higher degree than the rest of the herd. Dime's got Italian ones; they be scared of the lockdown to go through all that extra subterfuge lessons, ya know? :giggle: :giggle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
ahahah, i got metallic net that come from ground to air, and large holes net all over...if got prob is time to put into pond 4 or 5 alligator...the real ones... no more herons -.-

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ahahah, i got metallic net that come from ground to air, and large holes net all over...if got prob is time to put into pond 4 or 5 alligator...the real ones... no more herons -.-
the heron merely sneered at addy's attack yorkies; I think my money WON'T be on the alligators! Too, IF the alligators make it 'no more herons', they'll also make it 'no more fish'; kind of a win-lose anyhow, no?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
cork is also a great insulator also . I put rolls of cork down under my vinyl plank floors and then insulated underlayment . Great idea and you can make it also look like wood without being wood by getting thick cork and carving it out . Bad thing is if you have critters it gives them a way to get in the pond and possibly not able to get out

Ask a Question