UV light recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United States
If, by this statement, you mean live in the same body of water, then yes.

This is correct. Coexist is a verb, meaning "to exist at the same time or same place". This does not even remotely imply a symbiotic relationship. I am starting to think God placed me here as a test.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is correct. Coexist is a verb, meaning "to exist at the same time or same place". This does not even remotely imply a symbiotic relationship. I am starting to think God placed me here as a test.

I am sure that there are those individuals that believe that the terms have same meaning.
I am a firm believer in defining terminology. It insures that , at least, all parties to a discussion are on the 'same page'.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Cyanobacteria are easily introduced to body of water by wildlife transfer, most notably aquatic fowl and there are species of cyanobacteria that will grow in most any environment.
What @tbendl has often referred to as 'Pond Snot' is quite likely a cyanobacteria (bluegreen algae)
Is that what most likely it is? Are there indications of it coming back that I would see though testing the water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
unfortunate to read reactions, does appear to be a rhetorical exercise of exaggerating the negatives, side effects, etc, in so to scare people to think different about "quick fixes".

I'm trying to parse your sentence structure to see if I can figure out exactly what you're trying to say. I think you're suggesting the belief that employing quick fixes (I'm assuming we're sticking with pond care for the purpose of this discussion) can lead to negative side effects is erroneous thinking and is designed to keep people from using them by creating fear. Did I get that right?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is that what most likely it is? Are there indications of it coming back that I would see though testing the water?

Difficult to say if it is truly cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) without an identification key. Some are available on-line. I will see if I can find the links for you.
It typically is seen during the summer months and, again, not all of these organisms produce toxins and of this number some only produce toxins under special conditions.
Other than monitoring the Nitrate and Phosphorus levels, maintaining a good number of aquatic plants, feeding your fish judiciously (you know--the usual routine), there is nothing else that can be done to prevent its occurrence as it is a naturally occurring event in bodies of water that tend to be eutrophic (high nutrients).

Here are three (3) (of many) links to algae identification keys-

http://www.amfb.eu/SFWM/bibliotheque/pdf/FreshwaterAlgae.pdf

http://wgbis.ces.iisc.ernet.in/energy/stc/biomonitoring_of_wetlands/keys_freshwater_algae.pdf

http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2011/agr/A125-8-2-2011-eng.pdf

Last edited:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well not sure if this helps but my cat drinks out of the pond with no ill effects and it was pretty awful all last summer and both the cat and the fish didn't seem to be bothered by it at all.
I haven't had the floating snot since I did the huge clean out of it last month.. Fingers crossed. But we also haven't had a whole bunch of super sunny days since then either.
I'm hoping that big clean did the trick but will google cyanobacteria and see what I can find out as well. Thanks Meyer.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well not sure if this helps but my cat drinks out of the pond with no ill effects and it was pretty awful all last summer and both the cat and the fish didn't seem to be bothered by it at all.
I haven't had the floating snot since I did the huge clean out of it last month.. Fingers crossed. But we also haven't had a whole bunch of super sunny days since then either.
I'm hoping that big clean did the trick but will google cyanobacteria and see what I can find out as well. Thanks Meyer.

I edited my previous post #114 and added some links.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm looking.
I understand why it's so hard to tell from pictures. These articles are helpful and I will know more what to look for if it comes back. Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking.
I understand why it's so hard to tell from pictures. These articles are helpful and I will know more what to look for if it comes back. Thank you.

If your fish, frog, etc are fine, then quite fine for your cats to drink from the water. Your cats are fine. Be careful about believing hysterical comments, cleverly formulated by extrapolating concerns from articles, to create concern. You have no reason to be concerned. Quite fun to identify what is in the pond, but allow common sense to prevail. Simply scooping out what you can is sufficient. I do understand the deep care and consideration people have for their animals..

Life already creates enough concerns. This subject is not one of them you need to add to the list of concerns.

Last edited:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Meyer Jordan Nostoc or Anabaena seems to be the closest. It describes it as being "jelly like" and that when it dries out it turns into flat black almost paper. Again though it looks like the only way to really be sure is to get some under a microscope. Pretty interesting reading though, thank you for the links.

Ask a Question