addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Purple martins eat a ton of bugs as do the bats. You need to put the purple martin house up about 10-15' in the air in an open area not in the woods. Maybe you could build your house over the winter.

I put up a house for them, not one came lol, we must not be in their nesting range.

Hi Addy, As you probably know two of the channels are working. 1 and 4. The camera for 4 is really clear and you can see the hummingbirds. The first channel is much blurrier. Pretty neat anyway that you have people across the country watching your pond. Maybe you should call it all it "Realty Fish TV" ? Was it hard to hook up your cameras to your computer? I have a couple cameras I picked up a while ago. I would think you could hook them into a wireless router somehow and add it to a network.

Camera 1 does look blurry over the net, there is a lot of motion going on, water moving fish swimming, it depends on your connection speed. The tv picture is real clear, but if we log in via our intranet, ie lan, it is blurry also, but not as bad as when we use our broadband connection, takes time to update. I am hoping the camera I have coming wide angle, will do better. This one is more for a long view ie driveway.
the ptz if zoomed into far gets pixely it does a digital zoom after it does a 10x optical zoom.
2 and 3 were off cause we were out working ............. I finally put up some fishing line anti heron around the one low edge. The new fish tend to hang out in the walk out area a space 3x1 foot that is shallow, perfect picking grounds for one of those birds.

We are taking off for florida, will get there one day before irene hits our area! hope it decides to change course. At least we will be down there if it is bad to help his parents. So since we will be gone for a short time decided to do anti heron protection, even though still have not seen one land. Even the ones flying over have left.

opps missed your other ??'s
We have a dvr that the cameras feed into. The dvr gets set up with a ip addy, gateway, router ip and a port, then the router needs to be port forwarded with that ip.

We picked up one camera that is a ip camera, that one does not need a dvr, you just do the same set up as above and can watch via the net. It is wireless but that picture is really slow and blurry. If we have it wired it does better. So far just playing with it to see how it does.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Uh, oh, I was learning how to move Camera 2 around, and looks like I got caught! :) This is fun. Very pretty property, Addy. Do you have horses in that fenced in area? Neat fence!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
woo hooo addy i can see your pond and humming birds :)

Fantastic, glad you got it running

Uh, oh, I was learning how to move Camera 2 around, and looks like I got caught! :) This is fun. Very pretty property, Addy. Do you have horses in that fenced in area? Neat fence!

They used to have horses, cows, goats, emus, etc We have a dog and fish, on the go to much to have critters.
Any user can control the camera, so if you got "caught" it is because someone else was using it too.
I call that our back field, we go back into the woods about a 1/2 acre or so

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the info on the camera addy. I am going to see if I can pick up a dvr to plug it into and hook it up to my router. Good luck on missing the hurricane and hope the quake didn't affect you. My daughter had to leave her job at the senate today because they evacuated her building after it hit.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the info on the camera addy. I am going to see if I can pick up a dvr to plug it into and hook it up to my router. Good luck on missing the hurricane and hope the quake didn't affect you. My daughter had to leave her job at the senate today because they evacuated her building after it hit.

thanks cometkeith, the hurricane is missing us in florida, but right now on path for our house here in maryland! at least will be able to use the cameras to watch what happens lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am swapping out the dvr, and some cameras, so it will be down for a while if anybody tries to log in. The log in will change slightly, will post how to get in today or tomorrow.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey addy tried to get it on laptop but all I get is new topic and nothing else is it because I use ie 9 on this darn HP .I tried to send a pic to the pond link but get nothing even had a problem getting on the pond sight

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have it down right now sissy, was working on using a different dvr, but having issues with it. I will let you know when I get it hooked back up. Waiting for customer support to get back with me, the mouse and remote decided to quit working, just set it up yesterday..........

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
there is always a glitch when you set up stuff .I just got cameras with night vision for my pond and house .4 cameras and I am still reading the book of how they set up and think I will have to wait and get my son to come home and figure the darn thing out .I got them for security purposes but looks like I can hook it to the puter but not sure it's worth the aggrevation of running the cables .I'm a puter dummy when it comes to all this stuff .I hear some say they are good to have but also it says in the book if someone is driving by your house with a laptop they can hack into it and see what you have and if anyone is home .So not sure it is safe

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What kind? if nothing else just hook up to the dvr for recording, or to your computer. Nobody drives by our house, if they did they would be heading out into our fields. We are at the end of the road at the end of the development.

Well if they want to hack in and look at our fish and birds, feel free! lol, They won't see anything worth taking.

The system set up perfectly, then I moved it ten feet from where I set it up and something went wrong lol. I may just to a total reset, ie power down, pull the battery. Sort of waiting to see if there is something they want me to do. Already took it apart to check cables, but all secure..........oh well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wanted to use mine inside for security also and since I saw the story on the news how easy it is to heck them it amazes me .They even hack baby monitor video cams and nanny cams .I wanted to use mine when I go away so I can check on the house via the net .I live in a really rural area and I'm amazed at what they will steal .My neighbor was in the hospital down the road and they stole his ride on mower and the outboard motor on his big boat he had there /I could not believe it when he told me about it .The house down from him got robbed and they brought a moving truck and no one down there thought twice about the moving truck being there .I would love to be able to check on the pond though when I'm away .Maybe I could just put them all outside .My son was the one who said I should get it since he is not here .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it is a lorex indoor outdoor security system .They sell wireless but I bought the wired one because there would be less problems with anything that can cause problems with it . I have linksy for my puter and and direct tv system and that could cause problems with it

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
do you do messenger i.e. yahoo messenger? If you do, I could probably chat you through the set up. The hardest issue is port forwarding your router. I have some good free proggies I could send you that will help you with port forwarding.
DTV will make no difference on your set up. The routers all work a little different but that won't affect it.

Did you get a dvr with the setup? You mainly need a place to sit it, I would have it out of sight (so if someone did break in they would not take it), run the cables outside, we drilled a hole in wall lol. No worse than running electric lines. The dvr or a ip camera is what allows you to set up the viewing via the net. You can also set it up to send you alerts via email if someone or something triggers an alert.

It is great to be able to watch the pond, my neighbors watch my pup, last week while we were gone it was great to just log into the site and look over the pond and yard. With your deck, put one camera looking down the length of it, set for motion alert. We are not too concerned about theft, famous last words..............lol

Yeah boat motors are worth some bucks, one of ours died, 15-20k to replace it...............luckily we had two on the boat so probably just going to put a smaller second motor on just to save your butt if other motor dies.

Ask a Question