viewing our fish via the net, for anybody interested

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by addy1, Aug 17, 2011.

1. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

thanks cometkeith, the hurricane is missing us in florida, but right now on path for our house here in maryland! at least will be able to use the cameras to watch what happens lol

addy1, Aug 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Yep looking at the camera's right now and it is quite windy there.

j.w, Aug 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

I am swapping out the dvr, and some cameras, so it will be down for a while if anybody tries to log in. The log in will change slightly, will post how to get in today or tomorrow.

addy1, Sep 1, 2011
  4. addy1

sissy sissy

hey addy tried to get it on laptop but all I get is new topic and nothing else is it because I use ie 9 on this darn HP .I tried to send a pic to the pond link but get nothing even had a problem getting on the pond sight

sissy, Sep 1, 2011
  5. addy1

I have it down right now sissy, was working on using a different dvr, but having issues with it. I will let you know when I get it hooked back up. Waiting for customer support to get back with me, the mouse and remote decided to quit working, just set it up yesterday..........

addy1, Sep 1, 2011
  6. addy1

sissy sissy

there is always a glitch when you set up stuff .I just got cameras with night vision for my pond and house .4 cameras and I am still reading the book of how they set up and think I will have to wait and get my son to come home and figure the darn thing out .I got them for security purposes but looks like I can hook it to the puter but not sure it's worth the aggrevation of running the cables .I'm a puter dummy when it comes to all this stuff .I hear some say they are good to have but also it says in the book if someone is driving by your house with a laptop they can hack into it and see what you have and if anyone is home .So not sure it is safe

sissy, Sep 2, 2011
  7. addy1

What kind? if nothing else just hook up to the dvr for recording, or to your computer. Nobody drives by our house, if they did they would be heading out into our fields. We are at the end of the road at the end of the development.

Well if they want to hack in and look at our fish and birds, feel free! lol, They won't see anything worth taking.

The system set up perfectly, then I moved it ten feet from where I set it up and something went wrong lol. I may just to a total reset, ie power down, pull the battery. Sort of waiting to see if there is something they want me to do. Already took it apart to check cables, but all secure..........oh well.

addy1, Sep 2, 2011
  8. addy1

sissy sissy

I wanted to use mine inside for security also and since I saw the story on the news how easy it is to heck them it amazes me .They even hack baby monitor video cams and nanny cams .I wanted to use mine when I go away so I can check on the house via the net .I live in a really rural area and I'm amazed at what they will steal .My neighbor was in the hospital down the road and they stole his ride on mower and the outboard motor on his big boat he had there /I could not believe it when he told me about it .The house down from him got robbed and they brought a moving truck and no one down there thought twice about the moving truck being there .I would love to be able to check on the pond though when I'm away .Maybe I could just put them all outside .My son was the one who said I should get it since he is not here .

sissy, Sep 2, 2011
  9. addy1

sissy sissy

it is a lorex indoor outdoor security system .They sell wireless but I bought the wired one because there would be less problems with anything that can cause problems with it . I have linksy for my puter and and direct tv system and that could cause problems with it

sissy, Sep 2, 2011
  10. addy1

do you do messenger i.e. yahoo messenger? If you do, I could probably chat you through the set up. The hardest issue is port forwarding your router. I have some good free proggies I could send you that will help you with port forwarding.
    DTV will make no difference on your set up. The routers all work a little different but that won't affect it.

Did you get a dvr with the setup? You mainly need a place to sit it, I would have it out of sight (so if someone did break in they would not take it), run the cables outside, we drilled a hole in wall lol. No worse than running electric lines. The dvr or a ip camera is what allows you to set up the viewing via the net. You can also set it up to send you alerts via email if someone or something triggers an alert.

It is great to be able to watch the pond, my neighbors watch my pup, last week while we were gone it was great to just log into the site and look over the pond and yard. With your deck, put one camera looking down the length of it, set for motion alert. We are not too concerned about theft, famous last words..............lol

Yeah boat motors are worth some bucks, one of ours died, 15-20k to replace it...............luckily we had two on the boat so probably just going to put a smaller second motor on just to save your butt if other motor dies.

addy1, Sep 2, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question