Water Change?

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

Can anyone recommend a small (cheap pump|) for simply doing a 20 percent water change?
To make my life easier, I do not want to use my main pump which is running a fountain and waterfall so I figured I would pick up a cheap pump for simply draining 20 percent of the pond to keep up the clear water.

Thanks in advance.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
harbor freight has an assortment of cheap pumps.,,,or install a tee and a ball valve set up to divert your pond pump offf to the lawn.

Reaction score
I have one from an old aquarium that I have been using to remove rain water while I'm digging out my pond. It took about 45min to pump out about 750G despite it's rating. I used a short piece of 3/4" ID vinyl tubing to attach to the output elbow that attached to 1/2" PVC. The 3/4" ID fits snuggly over the PVC. I cut the PVC to make the length of the pump, 3/4" ID tubing and PVC about 5' total to get to the bottom and clear the edge of the pond. I put a 45 elbow on the end and the rest of the 1/2" PVC to extend it away to a good drainage spot. The pump when I bought it was about the same price as it is now $20US and the PVC, tubing and fittings abotu $7US at Home Depot. I don't think Drs. Foster Smith ships to Canada but I think people up that way use Al's, I think. Here's a link , I have the 1800 http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4587+8164&pcatid=8164

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would just put a tee in your pumps outlet side plumping with a couple of ball valves. When you want to drain open 1 valve and close the other. When you wanted it to go to your pond and features just reverse them.

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Thanks for the help folks. As I had not done a water change since I started the pond up I went out today and got a 100 gph laguna pump which I can also use with a De-Icer during the winters to keep the pond open.

Cheers.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Great idea on the valves!

I just did a change yesterday for the first time this season (Pond has been running since April 1). I haven't fixed my old pump yet, so I had to use a 5 gal bucket. My pond is ~400 gal and after doing 10% (8 buckets) I had to stop. Going to need to do it again soon. Pulled a TON of algae out of the bottom.

PS3

Reaction score
i do a small water change every week or every other week lol
i do about 20 pecent i just open the drain on my skippy filter and i let the water run out lol
but you can find a cheap pump at lowes

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Yeah...That is an awesome idea as well with the skippy. I don't have fish, so I didn't think I needed to change the water as often, but I guess it helps curb algae growth as well. The pump has a severed power cord. I have a replacement plug. I'll try to repair it this weekend. If it fails, then off to get a new pump!

Thanks,

Lew

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Got it thanks!

Just came back from a nice getaway with the wife. Super warm here in Chicagoland. Came home to a pile of string algae floating on the top of the pond. I've noticed that it's officially bloomed in my pond. The sides are covered and it seems to be centralized in and around the pots where the lillies are planted. not sure why, but I'm pulling the trigger on either a small bio or pressure filter very very soon.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
DoDad said:
I would just put a tee in your pumps outlet side plumping with a couple of ball valves. When you want to drain open 1 valve and close the other. When you wanted it to go to your pond and features just reverse them.

Hey DoDad,

Been trying to find a 3-way ball valve and I'm striking out. Do you have a lead on these?

Thanks,

Lew

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
one tee & 2 ballvalves.... one line comes from your pump to the tee one line off the tee goes to your filter with a ballvalve inline. the other line goes to your garden or wherever thru another ball valve...close the one for the filter open the one that runs off elsewhere. when youve drained enough water close the one and open the one to the filter!! this is what i was talking about also.

Ask a Question