Water Lettuce to stop pea soup

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Well, because I've never seen such deals. I've had bad luck with previous attempts to order plants online, and the local places seem to think that $5/ea is a reasonable price. And really, how much could it cost to run some fluorescent bulbs over the Winter?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you succeed let me know and I wonder how much electricity it would take for the whole year :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Considering my local weather, I can only keep hyacinths outdoors for half the year. So...

Two 24" florescent bulbs consume 40 watts
40W x 16hrs/day * 180days = 115.2kWh
115.2kWh * $0.0777 (my local rate) = $8.95

Running an air pump 24/7 for the same period adds another $1.

So for $10 in electricity, I can (ideally) keep about a dozen hyacinths going over the Winter. If things go well, I would actually try moving them outside a couple months early -- put them in a wading pool under a temporary greenhouse so I have a few dozen by the time the pond is warm enough for them. Maintenance would be minimal - water changes every couple weeks - and otherwise just ignore them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stuck some tropical lilies in a tub in the basement, no air stone, no water changes, just added a little water off and on. They are nicely growing in the pond. Oh and no extra light, we have a walk out basement, just stuck them by the door for light.

I kept forgetting about them lol.

The hyacinths, would prob take a little more care and light. I might try to over winter them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok addy and Shdwdrgn you guys be the guinea pigs and let me know if they survive, then I'll give it a try......................somehow I have my doubts but am pulling for you both. Those plants are picky and seems as tho I have heard you can't over winter them indoors no matter what you do for some reason. Maybe if you keep them all corralled close together that might help also :confused:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i plan on keeping some this winter, i have the pond, the filter, and the fish. why not? i'll make a cage for them like the rings so the roots are safe. maybe a 2' x 6' cage right under the lights. my lights (flourecent) hang 2' above the waters surface..a couple grow bulbs like 'growlux'...might just do fine.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Koiguy that's what I'm wondering that the plants need gro-lights and I think those things are pretty expensive or am I wrong? I don't use them for anything else around here so I would have to go buy them just for the hyacinth and I hear they do wear out even if they still light up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I've seen people keeping hyacinths in their aquariums, so I'm pretty sure they *can* be overwintered. That's why I think it comes down to the quality and quantity of light you give them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm wondering if an aquarium heater would help also? Maybe even a filter and air stone. Heck just set up the whole aquarium, throw in some tiny fish for fertilizer and call it good.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i run my 2 4' 20 watt flourecents for 14 hours a day the whole time my guys are in the basement pond, so...just swap 'em out for 2 20 watt growlux flourecents.....they would or should even help the fish retain better color.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That would be good if it works...............keep us posted in the fall/winter on how they are doing :confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I was thinking of throwing some rosy red's into the container, give them a chance to grow a little over the Winter, then toss them out into the pond with the rest of the school the next Spring. I figure I'm bound to lose some of them in the pond anyway, so this would replenish the stock and add to the gene pool (the little guys are *trying* to reproduce, I just don't know if any will survive). Maybe I'll do the same with some dojo's... I only have three now, I'd love to have about a dozen in the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I noticed that too koiguy. Maybe they are trying to get enough post so they can post pix? Dunno :)

Ask a Question