sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess I could try it use it on everything else .My father was an organic gardener long long before it was the in thing .Believe it or not my father would use one of those trolling boat motors to aerate his ,not much for that kind of stuff back then and since he had such large area to cover that was the only way to mix it .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So mine may have been getting to much sun and not enough nutrients from the pond I have now moved some to more shaded and some in compost tea and that is in mostly shade and I have plant food so will try that too

Reaction score
j.w said:
I wish it would grow here in my pond like I have said before. I've never had it but it's too cool here for it I'm thinking.....boo hoo :regular_waving_emot

We're in Chehalis, not far south of you. We always toss water lettuce and hyacinth in the pond in late spring. Our climate must be borderline - some years the hyacinth never blooms. But if we don't do some weeding they'll cover the pond by late summer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
taherrmann4 said:
Sissy found this on the web talks about water lettuce and halfway through discusses a few ways to fertilize them. They also like to be coralled.

http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com/articles/plants/pond_plant_water_lettuce.php
thanks for the sight did you happen to notice that they have some great looking taro on there sight at there online store .They have one with a black and green leaf called colocasia mojito and the leaf is beautiful .I do miss my hostas back in NJ had a couple hundred of them all around my gardens ,but brought a couple with me but the heat here is not so great for them .I am just starting to get shade from the trees I planted when I moved here .The land was a barren waste land .This is what I started with 7 years ago ,3 acres of red clay .After 7 years of hard work 60 some trees and shrubs ,this

Attachments

• start of splendors gate house 001.jpg
    start of splendors gate house 001.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 299
  • house 2011 spring 047.jpg
    house 2011 spring 047.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 284
  • house 2011 spring 037.jpg
    house 2011 spring 037.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 337

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
looking good Sissy, takes time to get it the way you want and for the trees to get big. I saw that Taro (Mojito) is pretty cool looking. I have tons of hostas and have to keep splitting them and give them away every year.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I('m thinking of getting one to try it kinda expensive but worth the beauty .I brought only 6 from my other house and had to protect them here from the extreme heat and dryness .I hope to plant some under the trees closer to the house and keep a drip hose near them .They made it 7 years already

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
colocasia mojito, I just bought one this weekend!;) The nursery I was at wanted $30 a 1 gallon pot for them, I found a few in the back that weren't potted and ask one of the young guys in the back what they could sell me one for? He bagged me up two bulbs and told me how about $10, I grabbed them. might should have gotten more but didn't want to be greety and really I got them home and still haven't potted them, once I do then I have to figure out where to plant them. Right now in the big pond I have one spot about 4' around that the fish come up and feed at, other than that I'm almost completely cover with plants, but the water is crystal clear, all the water checks are good and the koi aren't really bothering anything but the water lettuce roots and they are keeping up with the fish so it's all good for now! No koi breeding this year:confused: probably best though, they aren't tearing everything up and aren't beating each other up so I can live with only the one baby this year. Oh and BTW, Dumplin is changing colors, I'll have to try and get a pic, Gone from solid yellow to yellow with black patches, Ki Utsuri???? LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Telkwa said:
We're in Chehalis, not far south of you. We always toss water lettuce and hyacinth in the pond in late spring. Our climate must be borderline - some years the hyacinth never blooms. But if we don't do some weeding they'll cover the pond by late summer.

Thanks for the info Telkwa and yes I see you are a neighbor. I will have to try adding some of both of those maybe now that we may be getting some nicer weather. I'll have to look for a good place to get some. This year Spring was torture to the Pacific N.W.

Ask a Question