Water Lettuce

Reaction score
Okay we are newbies with ponds....we purchased water lettuce and for the life of me cannot et it to stand up, it keeps going on its side. Any suggestions on how to get them to stand? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
O.K...your not the first to ask this question!...this makes me think that when theyre grown in mass production and sold theyre probably crammed pretty tight. and as they growout new runners and plants they get forced upward, lifting them out of a level 'float. and they just end up growing that way....i would assume they should correct themselves.

does this make sence to anyone?

Reaction score
Okay I hope this helps some people about the water lettuce. I just spoke to the man I bought it from. He told me to get a line, like fishing or something else and tie a rock (small) to the middle of the lettuce roots and weight it down and this should help until they grow. So we are going to try that and see if it helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I just bought two water lettuce plants about a week ago for my new pond. The same thing happened with mine. I really felt that it made the pond a bit unsightly to have these crooked plants on the water. In only a week's time they've corrected themselves and now sit up very straight with no outside intervention.

Reaction score
Okay my husband came home last night and we tried this fix for the water lettuce and it worked!

I took a plastic lunch baggie and put some stones in it and tied it to the lettuce plant about half way down the roots and then placed them in the pond, it works!

Ask a Question