Watercress

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The watercress in my pond is flowering and faking over the whole space. What should I do to return to harvest non flowering plsnts

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can cut back watercress and the plant will continue to grow. I trim flowers off a lot of my plants as once they bloom and produce seeds, they tend to die back.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1624213214762.gif
@Mick f c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Mick f c Hello and welcome to our group!

Are you asking how to keep the plants from flowering? Can’t you just yank out the excess?
I just want to have plans that have no flowers to be able to crop easily. Last vear was OK but this year it is a mass of flowering plants. It's also filled my small pond with a mass of roots.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WATER CRESS IS VERY EASY TO TRIM , PULL AND REMOVE OTHER PLANTS LEAVE A TINY SPRIG BEHIND AND IT WILL KEEP GROWING . while water cress is similar as it will grow after being hacked way back. the difference is its easy to remove its roots .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mick f c Do you have any fish in your pond? The roots from the watercress act as excellent filters! Just curious, but why do you have watercress in your pond in the first place? Are you growing it as a crop? Afraid I’m not understanding what the problem is, since, as @Lisak1 said, it’s the nature of plants…….and it seems odd that you are having this problem. Please post some pictures of your pond — as others have said, it’s an easy plant to control (or are you a troll…..?). Sorry, not to be rude — just had to check!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Mick f c Do you have any fish in your pond? The roots from the watercress act as excellent filters! Just curious, but why do you have watercress in your pond in the first place? Are you growing it as a crop? Afraid I’m not understanding what the problem is, since, as @Lisak1 said, it’s the nature of plants…….and it seems odd that you are having this problem. Please post some pictures of your pond — as others have said, it’s an easy plant to control (or are you a troll…..?). Sorry, not to be rude — just had to check!
No I'm not a troll and no offence taken. I grow it as a crop. Its just that last year I seemed to have a long period when I could harvest it without flowers but this year it seems to be all flowering stems. Maybe it's not the right time yet or maybe the pond is too full. Last year was the first time I had it so I don't know much about growing it. I'm not an expert so I don't know if I should be thinning it out or maybe taking nearly all of it out and letting it grow again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I yank and trim my water cress....I only want it covering the liner in the spillway.
@Tula - could you share a picture? I am thinking ahead to how I will handle the water overflow area from my future bog filter. This sounds like an interesting way to handle that area!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Its just that last year I seemed to have a long period when I could harvest it without flowers but this year it seems to be all flowering stem

So I think I understand the problem now. I do find that my plants in their second year - when the overwinter successfully - flower and get really really HUGE very quickly. Your best approach may be to start with new plants every year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Heres a video i just made the watercress exploded over the last 5 weeks from my last video. We'll be ripping out water cress for at least an hour I'd imagine

Ask a Question