Waterfall weirs for diy filters

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
finished off the sheet of HDPE with this one.... has a water run of 8&1/2" wide by 8" extention out from mounting. side walls are about 1&1/2" high. requires an area of at least 11" wide by 2&1/2" in height for mounting $25.00 including shipping...add $5.00 for priority mail (2 - 3 day delivery)
i notice i didnt put a price on that last one posted....its the same price.

Attachments

• SANY1828.JPG
    SANY1828.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,111

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
8&1/2" wide x 8" long or extends out from mounts (inside measure) is the widest.... 8&1/4" wide x 8&3/4" long is the longest.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have to say the weirs are very professional looking especially with how everything is pieced together, looks very polished. Good stuff. Very nice how you are willing to make custom made ones. I hope you're not selling your self short. :)

--------------------

What could you make for a Rubbermaid 20 gallon trash can ?

I attached a 2" bulkhead connector near the top, pretty much just an inch below the can's lip, where it dumps into a tube then to my stream. Figure I could just cut this out more so maybe the weir could hang in there, maybe? Or, have a mounting plate inside the bucket so it mounts instead of just hangs, maybe? Hmmm. Or, somehow mount it so I can keep my holes there in case I ever do want to utilize them again, maybe? heheh, sorry for the annoying questions. :)

I am thinking something that can taper out so it can handle a high flow, but not take much space attaching to the container. Ugh ... does it work this way?

I will get the measurements if ya think it will work.

No problem if ya lack the materials or don't have the time at this moment. I don't mind waiting ... as long as ya know ya might be able to do it. :) Currently, I have the trash can in a workable situation, but would be so much better with a waterfall weir. :)

For your rule of thumb, is that 100 gph per square inch area of weir or just inch width of the weir's spout?

At first, noticing ya began this 2 years ago, I was afraid ya weren't doing it anymore. Very awesome looking weirs I have seen here. I hope this is doable. I'll still like ya if ya can't. :)

I have been thinking of getting a very small preformed 50 gallon pond thing where I could cut it up to make a kool looking stream to waterfall to stream situation ... or mount a rubber oilpan or something else that will serve as a waterfall weir into my steam. hmmm. Help me out man. :)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
most trash cans are pretty pliable...you shouldnt have to much problem mounting a weir... a heat gun to soften the can would help. but i cant guarentee it. now i have one i think is suited to your needs or wants. its this one...
SANY1827.jpg

its side walls are abut 1" high and its outlet opening is about 7&1/2" at the mounting and opens out to about 8& 3/4" at the drop edge. and extends 8&1/2" out. i think it could serve your needs. i am out of sheet HDPE material right now but plan on grabbing some soon. $25.00 will get it, including shipping...$30.00 if you want it shipped priority mail.
let me know if you want a custom sized one...like i said, i hope to have some more HDPE stock soon.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Excellent.

I think 8&1/2" out may extend out far enough.

My stream has well built berm, that is 16" tall on the outside edge of stream, 6" tall on the inside edge of stream, 12" wide berms so the 20 gallon is snug against the berm while there is still a bit of distance for the wier to reach over into the stream. I was thinking of a weir that extends out far enough. I think 8&1/2" may extend out far enough so it just cascades down the stream's inside berm edge then flows into the stream.

Give me a moment to do some measurements and let it ferment in my head for a few on how exactly I want this weir to waterfall into the stream. I'll get back to ya if what ya have will work or if I will need a custom sized one.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
alright, as i replied to your other posting...i see your pumping 3600 gph thru your falls.if its all gonna be running out the weir, im not sure this weir would contain that much flow. it may want to allow some overflow on it's side walls. theyre only about 1" high. i dont wanna sell you something that wont handle the job.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nah, I am gonna reduce the flow so there is a proper dwell-time in the skippy. I think I am going to start around 2min46sec dwell-time, which is 435gph out of my 20gal container, and maybe push extra water as ya have done on the top to make the water look good coming down the weir spot.

What kind of flow would that weir ya mentioned above (post#65) would handle ??

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
O.K... all of those are gone but i managed to get more stock. & i have 3 more ready, all exactly the same. pic shows measurements. these are still $25.00 with cheap shipping. or $30.00 with priority mail.
whats not shown is: the depth of the water run is 1&1/2" and total heigth from top of side mounting tabs to the bottom of the bottom mounting plate is 3".

Reaction score
Except for a larger surface area and outflow, what is the benefit to a weir versus a plumbed opening made of PVC pipe?

I am not very good with plumbing a sealing pipes, so how hard would it be to install this?

I will be using a 40 gallon stock tank (based on your 70 gallon filter) to filter a small pond, approximately 400 gallons.

Thanks.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the original skippy uses a 4" flange. water starts flowing out of the filter 6 or more inches from the top...this wastes alot of potential filter space.. weirs can go right up to the top if you like/...tho i mount right up by the bottom of the lip.... the higher flow rate is a plus... more natural looking flow, creating a sheet of water not the look of water gushing out the end of a pipe. IMO its just all around a better way to build a waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here are pics of the one the one I bought from the Koiguy 1969. Very easy to install and worth every penny. I have also included pictures of the pipe that I used before. The water weir looks much better. I have since gone away from the skippy style filter and now using more of a bog style. My skippy was 100gal. I estimate my new filter at 300gal. Filled with lava rock and in the process of adding plants. So far this filter is working very well. I was able to reuse the water weir.

Attachments

• IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 657
  • P1050787.JPG
    P1050787.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 630
  • Picture 180.jpg
    Picture 180.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 701
  • Picture 182.jpg
    Picture 182.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 719
  • Picture 525.jpg
    Picture 525.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 647
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks! My goal is to look and be as natural as possible. I plan to paint the exposed PVC pipe a stone camo color. My thinking is that my sweetflag grass will drape over the sides to cover the black tubing on the edge of the filter. Hoping that my water celery in the header pond will grow tall enough to hide a lot of the framing of the filter. I do plan to cut the weir back a bit so that the water hits closer to the edge of the header pond. I will try a little at a time until I am statisifed with the results.
Other than adding beneficial bacteria, I am relying on plants to keep the water clean and clear. Zero chemicals.
This was my fisrt winter with the pond. Ran it all winter long and fish are doing great. I plan to start feeding them this week a little commercial fish food. The water was 60 degrees this morning at 4am. So I should be good.

Don

Ask a Question