Waterfall weirs for diy filters

Reaction score
Hi Koiguy,

Thank you for making a custom weir for me so fast (Aaron in Oregon)!

I'm thinking that I'd like to hide all spillway plastic with flagstone so I'm thinking about cutting down on the spillway length. So what do you recommend: reciprocating saw or would a circular table saw do it? I have no experience cutting HDPE plastics and can easily imagine that a circular saw might generate too much heat; thereby melting the plastic (and messing up a saw blade). I'm imagining using a drill and reciprocating saw to cut the slot on my Rubbermaid stock tank...

Thanks in advance for the advice!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i just used a utility knife to cut my tank slot. scored it along a straight edge, then just heated (softened) the tank with a heat gun. utility knife worked great. a recipricating saw should cut the weir just fine i would think. i left the extra couple inches on cuz you can always cut some off. better than being shorter than you need.

Reaction score
Hi Koiguy,

The weir that I got from you last year worked out great! Do you have another currently available?

Thanks!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Marvins new waterfall weir / spillway 8" wide spillway. 2" sidewalls. 12" extention from mounting surface.
004.jpg
005.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
finished off the sheet of HDPE with this one.... has a water run of 8&1/2" wide by 8" extention out from mounting. side walls are about 1&1/2" high. requires an area of at least 11" wide by 2&1/2" in height for mounting $25.00 including shipping...add $5.00 for priority mail (2 - 3 day delivery)
i notice i didnt put a price on that last one posted....its the same price.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I would like to buy the spill away. How do I go about ordering one and payment? Thank you. I am in California

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Is anyone in the USA making anything like this anymore, out of any material, for use with stock tanks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
IDK, but have you done a Google search? Maybe try KOIPHEN.com. Old thread and last post from 2 years ago was never answered.
Thank you Mmathis for response, oh yes, searched For many days. They have stainless on eBay but In UK. Been looking at posts about diy here and on koiphen. I know bringing old post is a bit of a faux pas so please excuse my breech of protocol. This site is amazing Source of info for someone building first small pond, thank you board,!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@koiguy you still here? I think not as when I typed his name it did not link up like it should if he was still a member.

He is still on Facebook tho cuz he's on as a friend of mine. You could go there and message him https://www.facebook.com/mark.koiguy.castleberry2

Here is a photo of the kind he makes and he can make them to the size and shape you like, that is if he's still doing them.

Weir for waterfall koiguy.jpg

Ask a Question