Ways to Keep Predators Away From Your Koi

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its alittle early to have the heron decoy out...its mating season and you may just draw them in looking to court the decoy .. wait till late june when the seasons over, then they become territorial.

Reaction score
I had a heron visit my pond a couple of times last year. I think he may have gotten one of my sarasas comets. What has worked for me is to put Tikki torches around the perimeter and to string fishing line about 2 feet up and 4 feet up between them. I have not seen the Heron since. Question : If they are so endangered why do I see them all the time.........

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I just happened to be out in the back yard watching my fish in the pond and I noticed a Blue Heron circling real high about a couple hundred yards north of my location.

I can't help but to wonder if he has spotted my pond and marked it for a meal later. This is the first one I've ever seen flying around this area. Usually if I see one at all they are flying in a straight line like they are going somewhere.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
HEY..... i never said i would shoot one!! just some folks might, you know i never saw them either till my pond went up... i just walked in the door, from running one off,NO LIE!!! like i said if youve got decoys out take em down till late june, and move em every couple days.. or they will figure it out.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have seen the life size Heron decoys in stores. I think in one of the other postings someone said something about putting them out only when they are in mating season? I wanted to get more information before I bought one to put next to my pond.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you got that right... after june they are very territorial, mating season is their only social time, when you get one move it every couple of days..or they will catch on.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I dont spend $50.00 or more on a single meal for myself, I am not about to do so for a bird,racoon or whatever else finds my fish appealing. the simple fact is 1 preditor or maybe 3 dozen fish.. the fish will win every time. if my pond was stocked with $5.00 worth of feeder fish i wouldnt worry but its not, and now they are family...you have to protect your family.

Reaction score
I enclosed my pond with black plastic netting the same as the orange colored ones you see at construction sites. The trick is to not streach it tight keep it loose enough to wobble if a coon or cat tries to climb if they really don't get a good foot hold it my neighbor has cats one of them tried to get over it once and was scared to do it . Now they just sit there and watch. Does nothing for birds diving in Birds are not that big of a problem around my parts. So far thats worked well for me

Reaction score
Well the biggest blue Heron I have ever seen is coming to my pond. This started about a week ago and I can't seem to scare him off. We have a scarecrow and it shoots water - but only at ME. The bird is able to walk up to the edge of my Koi pond and stare right down into the water. The scarecrow doesn't go off. Sensitivity is on max.

I don't think the bird is getting any fish - my pond is a good 4 feet deep (10,000 gallons) and the fish can hide easily - but the Heron is seeing something or else it wouldn't be hanging around. And I also have two fake herons and this big bird was standing right next to them.

Right now, only my dogs alert me to the presence of this bird (It is quite beautiful - but I hate it).

Ask a Question