Ways to Keep Predators Away From Your Koi

Reaction score
mjz, these creatures are truly majestic without a doubt. They are impressive creatures--but knowing they are eyeing our ponds as a sushi buffet does certainly make you despise these critters. Try putting fishing line zig-zagged across your pond. Once he sees that he has no access, he'll likely leave your pond alone.

Also, your fake herons might have something to do with attracting him as well. I think it was koiguy who said that the fakes are only good AFTER the mating season, as that's when these birds try to avoid eachother due to territorialism. But you might be attracting the heron at this point thinking its mating time. Dunno. Perhaps koiguy can chime in here and clarify the point. I know that it made sense when he explained it.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
mjz, these creatures are truly majestic without a doubt. They are impressive creatures--but knowing they are eyeing our ponds as a sushi buffet does certainly make you despise these critters. Try putting fishing line zig-zagged across your pond. Once he sees that he has no access, he'll likely leave your pond alone.

Also, your fake herons might have something to do with attracting him as well. I think it was koiguy who said that the fakes are only good AFTER the mating season, as that's when these birds try to avoid eachother due to territorialism. But you might be attracting the heron at this point thinking its mating time. Dunno. Perhaps koiguy can chime in here and clarify the point. I know that it made sense when he explained it.

I was stunned at first when I saw the Blue Heron (i'll try to post a pic) - at first I was mesmerized just studying it - and then when it made a move for the water, I snapped out of my happy state and ran out of the house screaming at the thing. At first it just looked at me debating whether it had time before I got to it for another attempt. I had to cross the entire garden area before it would fly off - and then only to the roof ridgeline. It's cold outside - yelling at it from the door did nothing - this bird was determined.

I agree that the fake Herons are not working because this male was inches from them happy to be there. I am going to remove them for now.

Reaction score
Hi chris, I happen to be a newbie. I have to say this is a great advice for koi fish growers like me. I have observed an eagle or a swift I think that's been eyeing my kois..

Reaction score
For years I used Xcrossed string over the pond to keep swooping birds out. In addition to that, I have an electric fence around the perimeter to deter the racoons. I learned the hard way yesterday that the Xcrossed string will not keep all birds away. I do not know actually how it did it, but a heron or egret got into the pond and took 3 of my fish. We know it was the heron or egret because my husband saw it around the yard on Saturday and then again Sunday when we got home. This bird took 3 fish and injured one in a two hour period. Now the pond is covered with the net we use in the fall. Too little too late:frown:

Now I am worried about the survivor of the attack that has scratches on his side.

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
Nobody here explained how to keep HUSBANDS away from the pond!!! He was filling the pond because we get a lot of evaporation and he put the hose in and left it running for almost 5 hours!!! Basically did a COMPLETE water change and definitely didn't have enough declorinator for that..

Both of my beautiful 10" koi died! One butterfly and one platinum!!!!!

The goldfish all survived and honestly I didn't think that would kill them. I thought if we balanced it we could possibly be safe..

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
hahaha!!!! I think maybe a mirror to make him think there's another husband lurking around will deter him! hahah - i love this conversation

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
We've done it acccidentally once between with tropical fish which were MUCH more fragile and didn't loose the fish. i am guessing that the water from the tap in this house isn't the best quality.. I know we tested it, btu i can't remember the actual values

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lindsayanng said:
We've done it acccidentally once between with tropical fish which were MUCH more fragile and didn't loose the fish. i am guessing that the water from the tap in this house isn't the best quality.. I know we tested it, btu i can't remember the actual values

Tell him can only add water using a hose timer................

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I always keep sodium thiosulphate crystals around and pre-mixed dechlor. I have several times had to dump enough for 1500 gallons in when I forgot the hose.

Sorry for your loss, make your hubby buy you some nice replacements.

Too bad you are not near me, I will soon have more Koi than my ponds can safely support. I'm looking now to place some Koi.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
koiguy1969 said:
Its funny... Ive done it twice on the basement pond never on the outside one yet!!

Hope you have good basement drains!

Ask a Question