sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You still have your coons and gosh next year they will have babes and bring them home too .You will have to do something soon tmann or your going to be overrun by them .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can just see the golfers running now LOL lucky you not so lucky golfers

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have never seen a heron around here ,but we do get a lot of wild turkeys, but guessing they are not into seafood

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
racoons here, don't really bother that much, once in a while they will knock over something but I guess they find other things than the fish to try and eat. I know they like the rotten pears but they are all about gone. herons are only one bird we have to worry about, owls, and egrets are just as bad as the herons but the egrets are far more common. I've spotted two in the back yard in the last couple of weeks but all I have to do is let the big lab out and he's on them quick, they don't stick around when he comes out. poor Endy goes out to chase and by the time she figures out to follow johnnie all she see's is the white feathers flying away. LOL, If only she could actually get near one she wouldn't let one land in the yard without letting me know.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Those egrets you are talking about must have been the smaller white heron looking birds I saw in Hawaii. Quite pretty little birds they are! But grab your fish for sushi just as fast as Mr Big Blue Heron I bet!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
we have white cranes, egrets, wrens, or whatever they are here in way bigger numbers than the herons. but one has yet to visit my yard or pond...the GBH being the predominant preditory bird,.causes them to fly off whenever the gbh lands in the area. it seems that the GBH decoy is quite effective against the smaller cranes or whatever. even if their not that effective against the herons.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
koiguy not a nice cute little wren bird, they are tiny and wouldn't hurt a fly...........well maybe a fly,lol!

HouseWrenw-hopper.gif

Reaction score
We had a visit by a heron,8 months ago, landing on our patio and was eying the pond when we chased it off. I hung two rows of shiny silver CDs , 10 feet apart, the length of the pond at about 12 to 14 feet above the pond. They give great rainbow color reflections. I haven't had a visit since( at least I haven't lost any fish). It has also kept the elephants away!!! jimbo

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe I will add that to my anti heron arsenal! next spring

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've collected a ton of those CD's off the roadways as I walk. I put them in my trees to keep the birds and deer away. Never thought of using them around the pond. I wonder if they float? Cuz they always blow off my trees in a good windstorm and if around the pond I imagine a few will end up in the pond. Maybe the fish can play them down under, lol! Thanks for the idea!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We had a visit by a heron,8 months ago, landing on our patio and was eying the pond when we chased it off. I hung two rows of shiny silver CDs , 10 feet apart, the length of the pond at about 12 to 14 feet above the pond. They give great rainbow color reflections. I haven't had a visit since( at least I haven't lost any fish). It has also kept the elephants away!!! jimbo
Gotta try that... elephants are a BIG problem around here! Are your's pink too? John

Ask a Question