Ways to Keep Predators Away From Your Koi

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You can make a spray to keep bears away from garbage and plants.
2 habanero peppers, two jalepeno peppers, you can add additional peppers for additional strength, one large onion, Blend these until they are pulverised, drain the fluid and place the fluids only in a hand held spray bottle, add 2 cups of vinegar and two table spoons of dishwashing liquid, shake and spray. I suggest wearing glasses and gloves, and do not add soap to the blender with the peppers, (MAKES A BAD MESS!) Spray around the outer area that you don't want the bear or deer or racoons. Do not spray on your pond, It will not harm plants but it will burn your eyes and the soap is dangerous for the pond. We used it around the trash cans and along the fence line. It worked!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
birds bears and shooting guns eyesight checks required before you try it .LOL

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just a "let you know".....i went out this morning and saw a sparrow snacking on a fry...apparently they can and will catch them when they can...up in the border rocks no doubt............. he/she flew off with it...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guess anything that is hungry is gonna go for our poor fishies. Not much you can do about little birds w/ your fry. Just hope he doesn't bring his family and friends back for a buffet!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but would an airhorn be an effective way to scare a heron away and keep it away?
It probably would, but check with local noise by-laws first! The neighbours might not be so keen on the idea. John

Reaction score
It probably would, but check with local noise by-laws first! The neighbours might not be so keen on the idea. John

Yeah I probably should haha. Just trying to figure out an emergency way to permanently scare one away if I caught one fishing in my pond without killing it or seriously harming it.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Throw some fireworks in it's direction, just don't hit it.

Addy has also been dealing with the heron fishing out of her pond she has some techniques that seem to have helped.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah I probably should haha. Just trying to figure out an emergency way to permanently scare one away if I caught one fishing in my pond without killing it or seriously harming it.

Our heron appears to have stopped coming by. I have not seen it and in doing searches don't see it on any recordings for the past week. I think the two floating gator heads I put in have done the job. I have one at each end of the pond, both look a little different than the other, our pond is around 27 feet long. Both tied to fishing line, to a rock, so they move around in the wind.

I have read they will move on once they think the food is not worth the effort i.e. being eaten by a gator.

The first few times it came, we shot in the air with bird shot, but we are rural and do not need to worry about shooting anybody. The bird will take off quick once it sees you, so for a get rid of quick yell. But it will come back until it is convinced it can't get the food. We have had this heron fight going on for about a month now. Think, think we have won lol. Only time will tell.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
well I hope it stays on vacation, have not seen it for about 2 weeks now, either went south for the winter or back to its own pond.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
NO NO NO! Don't wish it south for the winter! I'm south of you! Hopefully it went some other direction! LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh fighting over where one heron goes and he has friends brothers sisters aunts uncles mom and dad cousins LMAO got idea send them all to the white house they could do no worse

Ask a Question