well fed open system pond

Reaction score
They did sprinkle some powder (Sodium Percarbonate)on the surface algae and it instantly lifted so it could be netted and skimmed off...
That's a fine oxidizer. And yes, the scale of the pond makes using oxidizers very expensive and time consuming since the algae is happy to grow right back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Not sure this pond is being understood...maybe I don't. My understanding is water is being pumped from the aquifer via wells and water in the pond is percolating back into the aquifer at about the same rate as the pumping. This is done to keep the pond's water level up. If that's true then any kind of chemical (additives, nutrient messing, etc...) would evolve the aquifer. Basically this pond is doing a 100% water change every day, or couple of days, not sure, but fast. Oxidizers can be applied locally and work fast, so that kind chemical would have at lease some effect. But trying to keep say a chorine level up in such a pond would seem to be a difficult and very expensive task. Also, I assume, hope, wherever this pond is located there are laws against adding things like copper sulphates to the aquifer. Unless of course this is in the US and you're a coal mine owner in which case you're free to dump away and it's everyone else's problem to deal with.

You're understanding is correct. And so is so is your thought regarding legality. Besides my house water comes from a 38' deep well located south of the pond. The aquafer flows north south... we have a water treatment system for the house . In any case I am vehimently (sp) opposed to damaging or having any kind of negative impact on the aquafer no matter how slight . (The pond is in south florida)

Reaction score
Do you think adding a water jetting finger or two in the shallows might help keep the bottom any less mucky by lifting it so that the skimmers can catch more of it?
OK, so this is a separate issue from the string algae. Here's kind of the thing about earth ponds, muck is part of the deal. In most earth ponds muck makes the pond more water tight so it's a good thing, but of course fills in the pond over time so that's the downside. In your case, because of the limestone I assume slowing down percolation is probably impossible.

Skimmers work primarily on stuff floating on the surface. The skimmer breaks the surface tension which pulls floating stuff along and into the skimmer. Subsurface stuff, even an inch below the surface, is effected less. Stuff on the bottom will never float so I don't see stirring the bottom having much effect other than making the water cloudy...which could decrease string algae. For your size pond I don't see any real benefit happening.

For your type of pond the normal type thing is to wait until the pond becomes too shallow to be usable, then drain and re-dig. Depending on environment it can be 25-50+ years inbetween digging. Sometimes weed control is needed and there are boats with combine type cutters for "mowing" the pond or lake. Because of the limestone base your pond may never need to be re-dug.

Personally, I'd sit back and enjoy. Embrace the wonder of nature. There is a lot of life in the muck providing dragonflies and food for your fish. It's a good thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
ugh, read the link /Mitch. Luckily we're on the Biscayne aquifer here but its not any better. We fight a constant battle with our household water treatment system in terms of TDS, sulpher and iron.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
ugh, read the link /Mitch. Luckily we're on the Biscayne aquifer here but its not any better. We fight a constant battle with our household water treatment system in terms of TDS, sulpher and iron.

How bad is the salt intrusion on the Biscayne aquifer at present? I know that just up the coast it is quite heavy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
OK, so this is a separate issue from the string algae. Here's kind of the thing about earth ponds, muck is part of the deal. In most earth ponds muck makes the pond more water tight so it's a good thing, but of course fills in the pond over time so that's the downside. In your case, because of the limestone I assume slowing down percolation is probably impossible.

Skimmers work primarily on stuff floating on the surface. The skimmer breaks the surface tension which pulls floating stuff along and into the skimmer. Subsurface stuff, even an inch below the surface, is effected less. Stuff on the bottom will never float so I don't see stirring the bottom having much effect other than making the water cloudy...which could decrease string algae. For your size pond I don't see any real benefit happening.

For your type of pond the normal type thing is to wait until the pond becomes too shallow to be usable, then drain and re-dig. Depending on environment it can be 25-50+ years inbetween digging. Sometimes weed control is needed and there are boats with combine type cutters for "mowing" the pond or lake. Because of the limestone base your pond may never need to be re-dug.

Personally, I'd sit back and enjoy. Embrace the wonder of nature. There is a lot of life in the muck providing dragonflies and food for your fish. It's a good thing.

I think I used the wrong word. The stuff settling to the bottom is mostly the string algae that has broken off and sunk. the moment I go in the water (or my dogs go in) it kicks up a cloud of green algae which floats around a little while with some of it getting to the skimmers but most of it just sinks back down. None the less Waterbug, good advice and believe me, I do! I do! How could you not?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
How bad is the salt intrusion on the Biscayne aquifer at present? I know that just up the coast it is quite heavy.
Hum, I'm not sure. But I think the bigger issue right now is the radiation being washed out of Turkey Point and finding its way into our groundwater.

Ask a Question