What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
haha that's great, since I'm Thai and my dad's extended family has this type of net for their fish/shrimp farm I grow up with it ;) well, 'played' with it more like, never catch anything since I wasn't patient enough when i visited.

One of the 'black' one is quite pretty with red undertone. So he's more like darker wine red when the sun hit right.

I enjoyed my time in Thailand. We were in the Lampang area back in '67-'68. Although I wasn't with them, Vianinni was building the highway to Cheng Mai.

We had a fish that showed the tints as you describe, and I think the colors are more vivid with the cooler water than when it warms up. I'd really like a large adult fish with those hues.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's a Japanese maple, planted in the early 60s, long before we lived here. I prune it back every couple years to show off it's gnarled legs. We built the whole system around that tree. View attachment 97617
Finally someone else that like me prunes that JM. I don't understand why my neighbors let their grow into a ball, I like to see the trunk....yours is beautiful!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's cold, in the 30s at night and only come up to high 40-50 F during the day.. but the fish are active and eating.

LOTS of string algae in the stream.. cant really take them out since there are toad eggs / babies EVERYWHERE on them.

The yellow gold one which is a Watonai from Raingarden is turning the yellow gold in colder water, but then more orange in summer. His offspring are just all orange...

IMG_7815.JPG

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It's cold, in the 30s at night and only come up to high 40-50 F during the day.. but the fish are active and eating.

LOTS of string algae in the stream.. cant really take them out since there are toad eggs / babies EVERYWHERE on them.

The yellow gold one which is a Watonai from Raingarden is turning the yellow gold in colder water, but then more orange in summer. His offspring are just all orange...

View attachment 97700
Crystal clear, Nepen. (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Crystal clear, Nepen. (y)
Thanks! I think all the string algae in the stream is helping with the water quality right now but it's making my stream over flow and I lost some water that way. i'll have to fix my stream edge to make it higher.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Algae is most common this time of the year and should die back as summer plants take over. The water looks awesome and I would just twirl the string algae off with a stick.
Only thing is I wish it was not so cold this March. Looks colder than normal and were getting minus 15 to -20 degree Celsius at nights this week. Thankful that the sun is shining bright and that really makes the cold much more tolerable.

Ask a Question