What does your pond look like ... Today?

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Wet snow is falling here this morning.
IMG_4211.JPG
IMG_4213.JPG

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Beautiful! What's the tree in the middle? How old is it? Do you prune it to that shape? Sorry, that sounds like a rapid-fire interrogation:)
That's a Japanese maple, planted in the early 60s, long before we lived here. I prune it back every couple years to show off it's gnarled legs. We built the whole system around that tree.
IMG_2232.JPG

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
That's a Japanese maple, planted in the early 60s, long before we lived here. I prune it back every couple years to show off it's gnarled legs. We built the whole system around that tree. View attachment 97617
Gorgeous Acer. How tall/wide? Replacement cost is large. Look after it and prune with knowledge and care.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi guys, just popping in. Wanted to post a quick picture and say hello. I have been ridiculously busy with... well life I guess. The waterfall is mostly done, just putting rocks back around the pond and doing some clean up. Hope everyone is doing great and getting ready for spring. :kiss:View attachment 97619
Looking great, T!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Those new ones are indeed hard to catch! What I've ended up doing is taking a page out of some Thai women's book. We used to see these gals in canals along the road with their nets catching shrimp. What I did was go to a fabric store and get a couple yards of black netting, build a light frame, and tie lines to the corners of the frame. I sink that in the pond and when the fish start eating again train them to take food on the surface above the net. (I use dog food which happens to float for 15-20 minutes before it saturates.) After a couple of days they forget about the net and you trap quite a few by raising the net while they're pre-occupied with dinner. They will remember that trick for a while, so the net has to "soak" for a few days before you can do it again.
I've not caught all I wanted to this way, but have gotten the majority even though it's taken a couple-three weeks to do it. It becomes a "Me and Them" sort of thing:) I cull out the ones that aren't enhancing the gene pool and relocate them to a nearby pond.

Here's how the Thai gals net the shrimp.
View attachment 97510

Obviously the net needn't be this elaborate, but the principle applies.
haha that's great, since I'm Thai and my dad's extended family has this type of net for their fish/shrimp farm I grow up with it ;) well, 'played' with it more like, never catch anything since I wasn't patient enough when i visited.

One of the 'black' one is quite pretty with red undertone. So he's more like darker wine red when the sun hit right.

Ask a Question