What does your pond look like ... Today?

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This is the view high above our pond this afternoon after a thunderstorm dumped about an inch of rain in twenty minutes. You can't tell from this shot but the trees kept dripping for hours.
IMG_4309.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Red Admiral along the edge of my bog. It just finished drinking nectar from my Marsh Marigold.
IMG_1980 copy.jpg

I found this Bumble Bee in the garage. It was very weak, very slow. I brought it over to some of my flowers. It didn't want anything to do with my Wild Strawberry so I ended up putting it on Grape Hyacinth. It instantly started drinking nectar, and within ten minutes it had all of its energy back, and eventually flew away.
IMG_1959 copy.jpg

Bullfrog.
IMG_1933 copy.jpg

Less than two weeks until the ducklings hatch. I was walking a trail yesterday and saw a female with about 8 ducklings following her and it got me excited to see these hatch. I'm hoping to be able to get up early the day that she takes them and leaves, so I can watch, and maybe get some photos if it's not too dark out. If she takes them to the pond in the woods, maybe I'll follow along and make sure they get there safely.
IMG_1937 copy.jpg

In addition to the duck nest, there's a Robin nesting along the driveway and a Dove nesting in a bush on the other side of the house.
IMG_1888 copy.jpg

In my bird houses, I've seen activity from Black-capped Chickadees, House Wrens, and Tree Swallows.
IMG_1890 copy.jpg

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Red Admiral along the edge of my bog. It just finished drinking nectar from my Marsh Marigold.
View attachment 99389

I found this Bumble Bee in the garage. It was very weak, very slow. I brought it over to some of my flowers. It didn't want anything to do with my Wild Strawberry so I ended up putting it on Grape Hyacinth. It instantly started drinking nectar, and within ten minutes it had all of its energy back, and eventually flew away.
View attachment 99390

Bullfrog.
View attachment 99388

Less than two weeks until the ducklings hatch. I was walking a trail yesterday and saw a female with about 8 ducklings following her and it got me excited to see these hatch. I'm hoping to be able to get up early the day that she takes them and leaves, so I can watch, and maybe get some photos if it's not too dark out. If she takes them to the pond in the woods, maybe I'll follow along and make sure they get there safely.
View attachment 99391

In addition to the duck nest, there's a Robin nesting along the driveway and a Dove nesting in a bush on the other side of the house.
View attachment 99392

In my bird houses, I've seen activity from Black-capped Chickadees, House Wrens, and Tree Swallows.
View attachment 99393
I love seeing all your wildlife, JB. (y)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My pond is filled to the brim w/all that rain water we got last night. I wish the green would vanish tho, in the pond! Love how green it makes all the vegetation @Troutredds

Can't wait to see those little ducklings if you are able to catch them in some photos @JBtheExplorer and yes I think you need to follow them and make sure they safely arrive at their new home pond :)
You are so fortunate to have all those critters and the birds nesting on your property.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Ponds looking much better now, had to dredge the scum from the bottom, left the pumps off for a few hours and couldn't believe the crap that floated to the surface. Also found a dead fish in the filter box. Not helping much with water quality. That was last weekend, now the algae is in remission and the water looks great. Aerators blasting away, fish happy and active... Don't be that guy, keep up on yer maintenance.
163.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All the places to make nest here and they pick the yard .I have to put flags around the area and gut the grass with hand clippers ,more work for me .Lucky for them that before I mow I walk the yard looking for rocks that appear from no where

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Finally getting my new pond filled in with plants... fish love the lilly and new containers. ...they seem to be doing laps now and really like the milk crate to dart in and out.

Also 3rd year for my pitcher plants1st year they are blooming. Also my hummingbird are back...3 males so far.

20170507_184534.jpg 20170509_142925.jpg

Attachments

• 20170509_142931.jpg
    20170509_142931.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 20170507_113552.jpg
    20170507_113552.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 20170506_201121.jpg
    20170506_201121.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 147

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Finally getting my new pond filled in with plants... fish love the lilly and new containers. ...they seem to be doing laps now and really like the milk crate to dart in and out.

Also 3rd year for my pitcher plants1st year they are blooming. Also my hummingbird are back...3 males so far.

View attachment 99542 View attachment 99543
Great work. (y)

Ask a Question