What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I got my net to keep the leaves out of the pond the other day. Dificult to untangle but so thin it could hardly be seen. Loved it. After one day got a call at work saying dead bird stuck in the net and it fell into the water, two fish trapped in the net and daughter had to cut net to free the fish.
Net is now in the trash.

Need to pull the net taught and secure to prevent that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Agreed--I don't let the net drag loose on the water surface. I've never had a fish get caught nor birds... A couple small garter snakes got stuck along the edge of the net the first year I used it, but I figured out how to tuck the edges and pin it down so that doesn't happen anymore. It is worth the setup time to keep the animals safe and also to keep the leaves out of the pond so they don't mess up the water quality over the winter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep pull it tight and keep it above the water so birds can go under to get to the water. If trying to keep out predators put a short wire fence around the edge of your pond and let the net hit the top of it. If no worry on predators then just forget the net and scoop the leaves out or get one like this where nothing can get caught. This one I had up before I got my wide weave fishing net.

IMG_5304.JPG

Wide weave below up now but won't keep leaves out, just predators.

IMG_8435.JPG

IMG_8287.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love my wide weave net! I don't trap any small birds or critters but it sure stops the herons.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Had my net for one day with problems...threw it away...next day one fish is missing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The pond is ready for winter. I installed bags on the bottom drain pipes to catch any debris that gets through the netting. I will leave these on all year.
I also used a very fine mesh netting this year to keep more debris from getting into the pond.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Haven't posted many pond pics lately. Actually, I haven't taken as many photos this year as I have in previous years. I've enjoyed the pond thoroughly all summer but definitely slacked off as far as photography goes.

All plants around my pond are done blooming except for blanket flower. I removed my purple coneflowers along the fence (as seen in the photo below from August). They were too tall for that spot because they blocked my clock. You might call them clock blockers. Now I'm trying to decide what's going in their place. I might try Echinacea paradoxa there.
IMG_5522 copy.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Posted in the weather thread...............but this is unusual for us on October 11! two beautiful lilies are blooming

View attachment 105100
What is neat these two flowers were open until it turned dark! Usually they shut around 2-3p.

Ask a Question