What does your pond look like ... Today?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks a lot of them have the blue tones. Their fins get longer as they age.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I donated a bunch of banana plants to the birthing center in NC so they could sell them to make money for the center .She called me sunday and said they sold them all at 15 dollars a piece .That was 10 of them .I have potted up more since for them

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@addy1 your fish have turned into a beautiful herd and they are so spoiled w/that huge luscious underwater garden! I would love to have a huge pond like that!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They love hanging out in the hornwort. Find them there most of the time, swimming among the branches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Love my goldfish!

I went out and got a short video in my 1000 gallon pond, 2.5 feet deep.

And one in my big pond. The video is taken in the 5 foot area. Bottom pretty darn clean, I have not cleaned it in a few years. Sorry for the jerking here and there, swatting at yellow jackets................

Wonderful videos, addy; I'm surprised you don't have more babies with all that lush undergrowth. For me, the naturalization you've attained is just great! I'll have to work on my 'herd' of hornwort and turn it into a forest like yours.

And I've never seen such 'mottled' shubbies; you can tell they're almost all related. Very long finned, too.

Very nice.

Michael

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'll have to work on my 'herd' of hornwort and turn it into a forest like yours.
I got the forest of hornwort by just tossing some in and ignoring it. I don't try to net the bottom there, all I get is hornwort. It has sort of parked itself in one corner of the pond. You can see in the video right next to it is almost totally clean liner.
I do think it loves water flow. The 1000 gallon tank waterfalls right near it, the stream waterfalls into it (when it runs) the bog water fall is on the other edge. A lot of water movement. The red arrows show the approximate area of the water falls, the one at the bottom is the timed stream flow.

Capture.JPG

I do have some growing in the small loop ponds, they have minimal water flow, there it stays smallish.

I'm surprised you don't have more babies with all that lush undergrowth

I do not feed the fish, as soon as they start chasing they are on their own. I see a very small amount of fry every year. At this pace it will take many years to over stock the pond. The 1000 gallon pond gets a few fry, it gets a constant water replacement, with the way it is in the pond loop.

In this shot you can see the clean pond bottom and the 5 gallon bucket that covers the pumps intake. It keeps the fish fry etc from running into a real strong water draw.
Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The Japanese maple leaves are on fire with color here today. It’s a shame they'll all be gone in the next few weeks. Hang in there, fellow ponders. The beauty (and mess) of autumn is fleeting...View attachment 105777View attachment 105778
At least you get to see yours changing color, mine (I have2) don't even change color before dropping the leaves
I love your tree!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
So many nice ponds and such great folks here! My own small effort is trying to make a woodsy scene with a small grassy area (meadow). The "periscope" is my home made pond breather. Just slightly lower and left of center is one of my photo blinds, that round topped camo net covered thingy. There's a comfortable chair in there. I usually will sit in there in the morning, a couple times a week, with a good book, waiting for the right bird to drink or bath.

100-7757-78 pond in fall.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
So many beautiful ponds! I'm afraid mine is most unattractive, with an old pool cover over it :( I'm living vicariously though all these beautiful ponds!

@addy1 , I brought some parrots feather you sent me, inside and put in some big pretty Ball jars. It's rooting nicely and looks pretty.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 , I brought some parrots feather you sent me, inside and put in some big pretty Ball jars. It's rooting nicely and looks pretty.
Neat, it is a pretty plant.

My red stem did lousy this year, it has a smaller foliage pattern with a red stem than the other parrots feather. It is in the 1000 gallon tank, just now starting to green up as it is getting close to dying off for the winter. I think the water did not have enough nutrients for it.

The stuff in the small ponds grows like a weed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How did you make your home made breather stephen .Maybe others will want to build it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
How did you make your home made breather stephen .Maybe others will want to build it
We're headed out to take fall color pictures and do some hiking shortly, it's way too nice to stay inside. I'll see if I can draw what I did and put it in the DIY section this evening or tomorrow morning. It's an experiment, so I don't know how well it will work.

Ask a Question