What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Just now with Mrs Mallard and the plants growing nicely.

8AB21E43-A947-4F0B-B01F-B601B7610179.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t think I’ve ever posted to this thread — mainly because my pond is kinda crappy looking. The pond looks OK, but the yard and area surrounding the pond......Oh, well. Some day.

But I am amazed that it’s May 9, and my water is still [almost] crystal clear! I guess the plants have finally started doing their jobs, LOL! Here are 2 pics I grabbed just a little while ago! For once, I can actually see the bottom of the pond and see the forest of anacharis and hornwort! What usually happens is during the winter months the pond will be clear, but once spring hits — so does the algae — but not yet this year! This is the clearest it’s ever been, this time of year, in the 6 years I’ve had the pond!

C351ED7D-0331-47E0-ABDB-78D2124DFA71.jpeg
F54E1053-E1C1-47DA-9EF9-78A4ABF60727.jpeg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So, I think I fixed my bog. (No fingers crossed emoji?)

As I posted in another topic, I removed my hosta a few days ago. It was in the general area of the problem, and as I removed it, a mat of roots came with it. It's been a couple days and I don't seem to be having the issue, but a few more days and I'll know for sure.
The hosta was doing a fantastic job filtering with all those roots. I could've chopped it up and replanted it, but I'm going to be replacing it with a native plant.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What?
Any idea why it died?
Too bad.
No clue. We had a colder than normal winter, then record heat then cold, maybe that messed with it.
We had no indication it was in trouble.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had a spruce tree in my front yard that died quickly last year. Still needs to be taken down. All of the sudden I looked out one day and it was dead, not really sure what happened. Saw photos of it in the 60's when it was only about 6 feet tall. The cardinals, chickadees, woodpeckers, and finches will miss perching in it once its gone. Ideally, I'd like to replace it with a native flowering tree or two.

Ask a Question