What is the best air pump to go for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
I have recently made a new pond. I only have 14 fish in total, which I've have for years. They have moved three times in their 16 years, so this is now their forever home. The pond is approximately 2000 gallons. As its near next doors fence I have done away with a waterfall, to keep the noise down, but am aware I need to oxygenate it better.
My question is, what size air pump do I go for? And which one is the best? Any recommendations?
Thank you in advance.
Tom.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
An air pump is not always necessary I know I don't use one other then during winter when my pumps are off. If you never see your fish hanging out or gasping at the surface then it's likely your pond doesn't need extra aeration. Simply adding structure at your return area will help turn water over which is all an aerator is doing anyway. An air stone does more to add dissolved oxygen by creating water movement then it does by infusion.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
PondMaster makes a decent line of air pumps, the AP20 or AP40 is probably your best bet. Another good product is the Koi-Air aerator, I think it's a KA20.

If you're going to install an aerator, I would suggest using weighted air-line. It's easier to hide, is black and blends in well.

Aerators should be placed into a weatherproof container, a Rubbermaid lidded box for example. Simply cut a flap in the side of the Rubbermaid box for the electrical cord and for the outgoing air line. Put a brick in the Rubbermaid box and put the aerator on top of the brick. This will prevent the aerator from "swimming" if any water does happen to get into the box.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome! I run a strong air pump in the summer and a smaller one, through the winter. I love the weighted lines, much nicer looking :) I also place mine on one of those foam things, to protect knees while gardening, to muffle it's sound.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought those foam knee pads at the dollar store and they are great under the aerator

lyle42000

Professional Content Writer
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
An air pump is a completely essential and good tool you ought to include on your fish tank. The air pump possesses lots of positive benefits towards your fish tank making the fish comfortable and happier. Hence, after making my research with regards to the best air pump, I have opted to go for Tetra Whisper Air pump.

I'd really appreciate if you could kindly please share your feedback. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-9-18_9-4-49.gif
@Tomshepp
I use AP100 air pump but only in the Summer as in winter I don't want the cold water stirred up much so as to chill the fish.

Ask a Question