What is your weather like ... today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Caught up ... well read a few pages on this post. Sorry, been AWOL for a while, but will try to stay more current!
JW, love the windmill! Did your hubby build it from scratch, I guess? If so, he is VERY talented! I had one little smaller than that one, and didn't anchor it well enough, and it kept blowing over until finally broke the windmill part. Then got a bigger really nice tower (although it's only about 12' tall) that is VERY sturdy, but the windmill part broke at the post where it was attached, so now the fins are broken, too. Grrr .... One of these years I'm going to fork out the money for a REAL Aermotor windmill, the old fashioned type. I'd even love to have one that would pump air into my pond in the pasture on a windy day. :)
Addy, glad that horrible storm missed your house, although like you said, you are in a flood free zone. Nothing worse than having all your rocks and mulch and plants go flooding down your hill, though.
I've had unusual amounts of rain this summer, too. Was VERY hot in June, about 3 weeks of 90's, which sucked, because we missed the 70's we should have had. Then little cooler in July, just 80's. Now into 80-90's, which is normal for August, but getting rains on a regular basis, like every week or so or more! Never seen the ditches with running water so much in late July, early August. I love it, though, and as Colleen said, it's great to have lush green grass and landscaping! The mosquitos love it, too, though. Yuck! Hate to have to spray to just walk around the flowers in the evening after work.
Hope everyone stays safe from any pending storms now and in the future!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good to see you here again @CountryEscape been awhile. Yep he is a steel driving man and he built it from stuff he had laying around. He staked it down good so hope it doesn't get wrecked in the wind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
windmill flower bed.JPG
JW, I had mine staked down with what I remember being 2' stakes and that didn't touch holding it in place. Then I put a concrete block on top of each stake, and that held it for the most part, until got a bad storm, and it still went over. The big one I have now is bolted down to a concrete pad I poured. It has never moved, but the windmill itself was very old, probably close to as old as me! It's a really good tower, but evidently the windmill part itself was wearing out. Not sure it can be fixed, but going to some day take it to a friend's house, and let him work on it over the winter. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Harshit -- yikes! That is a lot of rain! It's really surprising that your pond hasn't overflowed.

Those lilypads are amazing!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Harshit. Those pads are SUPER Big!! Love them big lily pads!

Aweful rain these days here too. Not no where as bad as yours, but Sunday night I had to move my little car cause I was afraid water would seep in under the door! We had such a big cloud burst that my front street looked like a creek!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
We had another good pounding of hard rain again today... Late Sunday night we had a small creek flowing on street next to my front yard. I moved my small car cause the water was getting deep and I was afraid it would leak in my new car!

Today while on my coffee break ...
20160809_183749_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
This rain was record breaker after 20yrs of time.
I was waiting for pond to overflow but it never happened. Maybe its leaking somewhere over the edge. Because normally I don't fill it this much, normally I keep it 3-4inches lower than the level in those pics.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We had one bad storm last night .Heavy rain knocked everything out .Glad it was not that bad .First we had no rain for July and ground was rock hard and grass was getting brown .Now storm after storm .Got front lawn and side done yesterday and now way to wait to finish the rest .

Ask a Question