sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember to look at root spread on trees because that can cause real problems with your pond .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
35 degrees here tonight and rising. We are supposed to have thunderstorms overnight, which is fine by me. The near 6" of snow we had yesterday is melting quickly, and hopefully the rain--and the 50 degree temperatures tomorrow--will help get rid of more of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Margo, Prairie Gardens is very large landscaping/flower/trees, etc. store, that normally is NOT in the cheap zone. However, this is their Spring gala, and they have mini seminars, and they have people form the nurseries they buy from come and tell about specials on their nursery stock. So, check your local places on-line, and see if you have something similar. I know there is another place in Danville (on the east side of IL) that also has specials. The local nursery doesn't do much as far as specials. Good luck finding new trees! My yard had the ONLY mature trees in about a 2 x 2.5 mile square, and I only had 7. Three of them had to come down. Two were soft maples (2 of the other remaining trees are also soft maple, but not as close to the house) and at least 1/3 rotten, and the other was a tree that was leaning at about a 20 degree angle. I've planted lots of trees, some have made it, some not. I didn't want a forest when they were mature, but I wanted pretty specimens. I tend to like trees that don't get huge for my back yard where the ponds are. On the other parts of the yard, I've planted wind breaks and "pretty". It's fun to plant trees and imagine how they will look when they are mature in 20 years or so.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like trees that give back CE ,like fruit trees .I have bradford pears and cleveland pairs but they don't fruit .i also have a couple of maples but only got them because they were cheap .I don't like maples aggressive root system though

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Pond is still frozen rim to rim here, thick enough to walk on.
Temperatures hovering around freezing but much warmer weather coming by this weekend.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
In my yard, the ONLY reason there are soft maples is that they probably germinated and were allowed to grow. I could have hundreds of them, as they come up from the seeds so easily. I did have a very nice oak tree, but that's the one that I tried to move before the 2013/2014 winter, and it didn't make it through, darn it. I have planted only one red maple, and it's a "medium" grower, so not the fast soft maple that I have now. The soft maples are not pretty trees, IMO, and they lose limbs like crazy, not strong enough for the wind I get here. I also have two very large elm trees. I think they look scary, like Halloween trees, but I was talked into keeping them, as they are a very strong tree. They are to the south of my house, so don't really shade the house except when the sun is low in the winter. I can plant stuff under them, too, as they are a "filtered" light, not dense leaves like other trees. Other than that, I have a ginko, patio peach (new last year, still only 4', and had 3 peaches on it last year already!), flowering plum (lost my favorite double flowering plum in the 13/14 winter, too :( ), red maple, dwarfs: curly pine, cedar, and spruce; weeping cedars, and then my wind break are arborvitae's, blue and white spruces. I need a flowering tree for in my front yard. Then I will be done ... pretty much. LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have all sort of trees in the woods, no clue what kind. I do see dog woods in the woods. I stay out, darn poison ivy.
Planted two weeping cherries over Missy number one's grave. They are so pretty when they bloom. Peach, pear, apple, plum, maples, arborvitae, crape myrtle, blue spruce, and others planted since we moved in.

Freezing rain today...........and cold, bouncing to almost 70 tomorrow and rain

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm actually having a guy stop by today to give me an estimate on chopping down five 50+ year old silver maple trees. They were never properly maintained or trimmed and now with age, they are all starting to drop their huge widow maker limbs all over.

Reminds me of when my Willow started falling apart about 5 years ago. The first branch - - and I use that word lightly; Its more like a tree itself - - fell after very light rain, no wind. It just snapped. I felt it hit the ground before I knew what happened. Can't tell you how close it came to taking out the garage! Only the gutter was damaged.
a.jpg

s.jpg

Second branch fell the next year.
d.jpg

Didn't have any professionals clean it up, did it all myself and with the help of my dad it took at least a few days for each branch. The weather couldn't have been any worse, by the way. Both times we were cleaning up in very hot and humid weather. After that, it was time to call in professionals to cut down the remaining long branches. One hung over my neighbors garage, so that had to be the first to go. Here's how it looked after they trimmed it back.
f.jpg

Since then, the leaves filled back in and it looks like a regular willow again, just more contained. After having to clean up a huge mess like that three times... cutting, stacking, and dragging most of it by hand half an acre to the burning pit we share with our neighbor, I can tell you I'd rather dig three ponds rather than do all that again.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
WOW JB is all you can say to that .I love my weeping cherry's and my weeping pussy willows .I have 4 weeping cherry's and 3 weeping pussy willows .The pussy willows are pink white and yellow

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Trees are all around my yard, trees just popped up all over the place on their own. I cut and cut but can't seen to get ahead. I would like to have some taken out this spring. will have to call someone. ..

Meanwhile weather is nice.and I might take baby down town to get coffee and for a little stroll with baby stroller!
20150325_101117.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Rain today. We have a willow also and I think it has some kind of a disease. The leaves turn brown and yucky and the stems rot off. If it doesn't heal itself it will be going bye bye.

I dug up a little tiny oak that a squirrel must have planted. Had to move it away from the house. I don't know if it will make it either. If it doesn't leaf out this Spring then I guess it's a goner. I did get some sprouts off a neighbors tree called a Seven Sons tree that gets tons of tiny white blooms on it in late Summer that smell heavenly. I managed to get 3 of them to live and they are all about 3ft tall or more now. Here is a picture of my neighbors tree that I took the sprouts off of.

IMG_1051.JPG

And the blossoms

7 sons tree blooms.jpg

The bark is cool also

IMG_1052.JPG

Mine are still pretty small but they do grow fast. Can't wait till mine get blooms.

IMG_5930.JPG

Ask a Question