j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep some are starting to leaf out now. Some are getting the leaf buds and not quite ready yet. The Seven Son's trees are leafing out. The little oak I transplanted has the buds from last fall when I transplanted it but no action yet on opening up. I don't hold much hope for that one. All the Japanese Maples are starting too. Peach tree has tons of blossoms but if no bees then no fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oak will be one of the last trees to leaf out, JW, so be patient with it. I sure was sad when I took the time to move that big oak tree away from my goldfish pond, and then that terrible winter a year ago killed it anyhow. Booo .... it was pretty large to have moved, but I think I dug it up and transplanted it at the perfect time. Just wasn't established enough for that winter. I may get a sprout from my sister and BIL's yard. They have tons of oaks, and it's just a matter of finding one in the early spring, after it leafs out, and getting it dug up before the roots go too far.
I would love a weeping cherry or pussy willow. I have two pussy willows that my GF grew from seeds. One she cut back and bunch of times, and the other I let grow and it's about 4-5' tall branches (about 4 of them), so I guess it would look better cut into a bush instead. I may leave one branch tall, and cut the others all the way down, and see if it will grow into a tree instead. The other one is about 3' tall, and 2.5' in diameter, and cute as can be, too. Someone mentioned getting pussy willow branches, and that they can be put into the ground and will sprout. Is that true, does anyone know?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Some do but you never really know what you will get since most are grafted onto root stock and then you add bees to the mix and it is a guess .Bees cross pollinate every thing

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You want something that smells great try magnolias .I have 6 different kinds in my yard and some of them are late bloomers .This one is down by the road and you can smell it up by the house .White and yellow pussy willow pink one is not there yet with it's buds .It is up on the hill exposed to more wind

Attachments

• property march 23-15 012.JPG
    property march 23-15 012.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 157
  • property march 23-15 013.JPG
    property march 23-15 013.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 138
  • property march 23-15 006.JPG
    property march 23-15 006.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 106
  • property march 23-15 008.JPG
    property march 23-15 008.JPG
    360.5 KB · Views: 94
  • property march 23-15 044.JPG
    property march 23-15 044.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 95
  • property march 23-15 041.JPG
    property march 23-15 041.JPG
    369.7 KB · Views: 92
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Usually hardwoods bud out last, or at least around here they do. Soft maples are budding out here, but no leaves yet. I have not seen any leaves on any trees yet. Buds for flowers are getting large, but we are supposed to have 30 down to 20 tomorrow, Fri and Sat nights. Booooo ... but then high 60's and 40's for next week, so I won't complain too much. I might cover the daffs if they open, to save them, although they can handle a lot of cold, I think.
Sissy, on just the plain old pussy willows like I have (not weeping), I think a branch is all you need to start a new plant. But, on the fancy weeping ones like you have, yes, you would need to buy the actual tree that has been grafted, or they won't hang down. Wish I could find one of them on clearance sometime, but never seem to get that lucky.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Put your zip code into this site, it will give you a list of all the plants/bushes/trees that are good for pollinators, for your area.
A neat site.

http://www.pollinator.org/index.html

70 ish today................snow tomorrow and saturday, then back up to 60ish

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
No leading out trees here yet, maybe next month. I think JW gets green leafs first!!

The only thing exciting here is a few spring bulbs have stared to poke out of ground on sunny and warm side of the house.

Should be nice day today. I will try not to beat the absolute crap out of my dumb vegan sister today....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
foggy day here but no rain except for last night .Glad I put down the organic fertilizer yesterday .

Attachments

• foggy day in march 2015 022.JPG
    foggy day in march 2015 022.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 86

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I weeded also and after the weather goes by here I will have to mow and glad gas prices are down here .They are saying a chance of thunderstorms .But so far just fog and dampness .I want to go out and do stuff but it is not good to walk on a damp lawn with this fresh fertilizer .The magnolia is blooming more and the scent is fantastic

Ask a Question