What is your weather like ... today

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I enjoy watching them but if I'm in an area where there are venomous ones I will be very careful to give them a wide berth. Rescued one Gardner snake from a crow on a bike path once. The crow had him on the ground and I raised my arms at the crow and he took off. I walked over to the snake and he was not hurt so kind of tried to nudge him off the trail and he turned around and came after me like he was a giant Cobra w/his mouth aiming at my foot snapping.
Ungrateful little bugger
He only wanted to be near you for protection!
original.gif

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Nice pics, JB! Many of them are familiar, but I like the Hog-nosed the best. We would pick them up in an abandoned quarry in northern Ontario, and they are the most amazing animals. They hiss, vibrate their tails to imitate rattlers, and strike at you, but their mouth is always closed when it hits you! And when that fails, they roll onto their backs and play dead. Flip it right-side-up, and it flips onto its back again! They seem to believe that anything dead SHOULD be on its back. :rolleyes:
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
6:30 pm and still 69 degrees and tired out .My new back deck comfy seat .My son got me a paper weight so I could find it he got this color of stone

Attachments

• chair pond gem stones 011.JPG
    chair pond gem stones 011.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 112
  • chair pond gem stones 017.JPG
    chair pond gem stones 017.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 151
  • chair pond gem stones 004.JPG
    chair pond gem stones 004.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 158

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Got drenched today on my walk. Found some kind of heavy old traffic light on the side of the road hidden in the long grass.
Has 4 light lenses 2 red and 2 blue opposite each other and none broken. Has some word imbedded on the top but don't know what it means. Looks like ADLAKE or ?

IMG_6544.JPG

IMG_6545.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw one of those on american pickers just awhile ago and they paid 250 dollars for it .They said the only thing missing was the base that it sat on

Reaction score
I'm behind cause I haven't been on for a couple days. Snakes never use to bother me, but for some reason now that I'm older they do. Thank god I'm in an area that we don't have poisoniest snakes! Our cats use to haul garden snakes home once in a while.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
49 degrees already this am but they say only 55 degrees toady and i want warmer weather ,Tomorrow back up to 70 degrees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
People who hate snakes are horribly misunderstanding them, or judging them by appearance rather than their attitudes.
Snakes are no different than any other small wild animal. It'll go about its business trying to survive. If it gets attacked or feels threatened, it'll run away fast as lightning. They're wimps. Very few will stand their ground, and the ones that do only do it because you stumbled on them too quickly so they feel its a last effort to survive. If it can't get away, it'll bite. It's the exact same thing that any animal would do, but because its not soft and furry, people think its evil.

I can understand being more afraid if you live in an area where venomous snakes are a bigger problem, but the same goes for them. Give them space the way you would any animal and they'll be just fine. They aren't there to attack, they just want to find food and a safe place to curl up. Same thing my cat does. (y) In fact, a cat can scratch you up while playing worse than most snakes bites would be.

View attachment 79143
View attachment 79144
View attachment 79137
View attachment 79138
View attachment 79139
View attachment 79140
View attachment 79141
View attachment 79142
View attachment 79145
Beautiful pics, as usual, JB. Can I ask what the second pic is, what type of snake? Looks venomous, but most of the other pics look like the common garter snake. Yep, what you said is so absolutely true. However, some people are scared to death of mice. I think people have phobias that they cannot control. My other phobia is a needle in my arm. I will pass out if I look at it. I used to get allergy shots, two shots twice a week, so the stick and so forth did not bother me. I told myself I could look ... the second time I passed out ... and I still passed out. No control. But, people do need to be educated about snakes, and you did a fine job. :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Snowy. Now 2" to 4" of snow expected. Spring was fun while it lasted.

Beautiful pics, as usual, JB. Can I ask what the second pic is, what type of snake? Looks venomous, but most of the other pics look like the common garter snake.

The second and fifth snakes are an Eastern Hognose Snakes. Completely harmless, I've read multiple times that it rarely ever bites humans, though I've only come across them twice so I don't have personal experience. It puts on a heck of a bluff, though! Flattens its neck, hisses loudly, & strikes. If the bluff doesn't work, it'll flip on its back and play dead, tongue out and all!!

The other snakes in the photos are Western Fox Snake, Red-Bellied Snake, Common Garter Snake, and Plains Garter Snakes.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well hello fellow ponders! I hope life has been fabulous for all of you and since it's starting to warm up, I thought I'd pop in and see how life is treating everyone.

Ask a Question