sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It was 53 degrees this morning and now it is 80 degrees and it is just after 3:30 pm .I have to get my mulch spread also ,but got 2x4's to build more stuff .Dreaming right now of my drill but I* have to finish mowing .But waiting for phone call from contractor

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
49 degrees this morning what the heck we never get this cold at night in September .Says 84 degrees later .To chilly to go out and spread mulch and to damp

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Tried to spread the mulch but the horse flies were out and boy were they biting ,did finish the trimming on the lawn edges

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hope it's allowing you to get some of your to do list done.
Have not stopped until to tired to move. We are running out of days. The temperatures are really helping getting things done. I will be chopping our lilies soon, even though they are blooming great still. Pump will be shut off in the next few days.

Next week temps down into a beautiful mid 70's then we head to 90-100's again, darn it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So you cut all the pads off the lilies?

I will cut them down to just tubers, no leaves, no buds, they will send some back up, it is still warm here. But it will be a lot less then the leaves etc on them now. They have grown great, I will, most likely, be shipping out tubers next spring.

We have contractors meeting us to get to work as soon as we get there. Painting, sanding floors, yard work etc.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
<Send> I am wondering <purple> if I can cut mine down <lily tubers> to the tubers this fall. <to me> I am dreading trying to fish the leaves out with all the lily pads on top.
I wonder if it would hurt mine?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
<Send> I am wondering <purple> if I can cut mine down <lily tubers> to the tubers this fall. <to me> I am dreading trying to fish the leaves out with all the lily pads on top.
I wonder if it would hurt mine?
rolling on floor laughing! Like your hidden message.

It will not hurt them if warm they will just regrow. They are pretty tough plants, Don't trim off the tiny leaves and stems.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Whaaaa??? :whistle::whistle::whistle: I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.
I'm debating, was kinda hoping @Meyer Jordan would pipe in about good/bad of cutting them since we are so warm. I may just drag them to the other side of the pond so it makes for easier scooping.

I would caution against cutting back Water Lilies (or any other plant) too soon. Especially if you are going to continue cutting back until cooler temperatures set in. This will 'exhaust' the energy stored in the lily's tuber. Energy that it will sorely need in the Spring to put out new growth.
Consider me 'piped in'.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Check... MJ Piped in..(y)
Ok well I won't cut them then, I'll just stick with dragging them to the other side of the pond.
Dratted tree, (which is really the only shade the pond gets all summer so I guess I should stop my complaining... but I won't) :sour::p

Ask a Question