What makes Water Hyacinth bloom?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
I know that this is an older thread, but would still like to add my research findings for future readers. From what I have read, WH respond well in crowded environments with lots of sun. They flower when there is low nutrients in the water, so there is a very low chance of flowering with fish in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I started with 4 of them this year, 2 in the fish pond, and 2 in the upper pond with no fish. I now have about 50 or 60, and zero blooms. will probably not bloom at all this year, or next year or ever.
They're cantankerous little snots, that will do what they want to, when they want to, and nothing you can do about it. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
That's nice multiplication! I started with 2 and have about 10 now, my pond was a bit of a late start though. I think that if you put them in a different tub a few at a time, in low sun with just tap water, it might trigger a flower. I plan to do this with a few of them when I have a few more. I'll share my results here

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
F2BB4CEE-A85C-4974-AD27-DE22BDCE97B6.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a-5b
Country
Canada
Great to see everyones replies. Last year my WH bloomed and bloomed, this year have only had 1 bloom to date. I figure they are just deciding not to play nice this year.

Abe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B-5A
Country
Canada
My Hyacinth look poor and beaten up , I wonder how such a cry baby can be
invasive in so many parts of the world. I thought invasive plants are tough and
adopting to any changes . Not the ones in my pond anyway . They are multiplying
slowly but the babies stay small. Filtering? forget it . they are barely staying alive.

Attachments

• 20180723_201856.jpg
    20180723_201856.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 20180723_201837.jpg
    20180723_201837.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 164

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine never did good, used it one year, never again. I have plenty of filtration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wonder how such a cry baby can be
invasive in so many parts of the world.

Ha! Good point. Given the right environment, they do multiply very quickly. But they've been banned for sale in many midwestern states here in the US where they don't stand a chance once the weather cools off. Forget frost - they don't even like cool nights all that much.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My water hyacinth are multiplying like crazy. I thought once they became crowded, they would bloom. August 6, 2018 Hot summer Missouri, and they are crowded, in a fish rich koi - goldfish pool (above ground 18x33 pool). Just recently, leaves are bigger - reaching up, I am hoping this sign of crowding that will produce blooms. Somewhere in my past, I thought I read if crowded; hyacinth bloom. I do see the leaves are larger in the crowded conditions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @goatlady2000 - are you a goat keeper as well as a pond keeper?

I've heard the same about hyacinths and blooming, but it's also not happened when I've had them. I had one bloom one time - didn't realize how rare that occurrence would be in my pond! haha!

We'd love to see photos of your pond - go over to the new member section and introduce yourself! And again - welcome!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I have a couple dairy goats, love the little critters. The pool became a pond after the children went to college leaving a very successful mosquito breeding habitat. It was in the interest of self preservation we tossed in some fish and water plants! You can see from the pictures very crowded. I have had the hyacinth bloom before and they kept blooming. So I am anxiously awaiting!

Attachments

• pool aug 2018.jpg
    pool aug 2018.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 150
  • hyacinth crowded 8 2018.jpg
    hyacinth crowded 8 2018.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 174
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Here in the CA delta, hyacinth is ubiquitous. It is all over the place. I have only seen it blooming in ONE place, and that is in a big irrigation canal sump off of Eight Mile rd outside of Stockton.
It is basically a big pond that water gets pumped into from the river, to feed the nearby fields. Part of that pond gets sprayed, and the hyacinth is brown and dying. The other half doesn't get sprayed, and the hyacinth covers every inch and pushes out tons of purple flowers.
I don't know why it blooms here and not everywhere else......I can't explain it.

Interesting plant.

Ask a Question