What makes Water Hyacinth bloom?

Lor

Reaction score
I have tons of them in full sun. Keep having to cull them or they take over! They bloom willy nilly, too, but I think they like when it rains.They're invasive in some places, so be careful with them. (Yes, Miami)

Reaction score
Country
United States
My water hyacinth are multiplying like crazy. I thought once they became crowded, they would bloom. August 6, 2018 Hot summer Missouri, and they are crowded, in a fish rich koi - goldfish pool (above ground 18x33 pool). Just recently, leaves are bigger - reaching up, I am hoping this sign of crowding that will produce blooms. Somewhere in my past, I thought I read if crowded; hyacinth bloom. I do see the leaves are larger in the crowded conditions.
Now August 29, 2018, I have a bloom!!!

Attachments

• hyacinth 8-29-18.jpg
    hyacinth 8-29-18.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 152
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Mine look like Abe's. multiplied well but always like they are half dead. The goldfish don't seem to eat their roots, maybe they don't like the current in the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine have taken over my bog and moved out across the pond. They constantly bloom and have grown almost two feet high. My PH is always high. 8.5-9.3. A
DJI_0052 (4).JPG
lso get full sun all day.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine today but over the summer I gave lots of them away .I got some from seeds that got on my water lily root ball
100_5427.JPG
100_5427.JPG
100_4520.JPG
100_4614.JPG
100_4523.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Nice. I bought hyacinth's from two different suppliers. One looks like yours and grew large. Like almost two feet high and the others grew out and spread but not tall and no blooms.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just watched a video that explains if the water is fertilized they won’t bloom, they will multiply but no blooms. So those that are in fishless ponds have lots of blooms, and those with fish are getting fertilized by the fish poop and will not bloom. Ours are in a turtle pond, so that explains why ours haven’t bloomed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My PH is always 8.0-9.5 and I have 25 Koi,50 minnows 25 tadpoles,10-20 Crayfish, 2 turtles. 3500 gallons. My hyacinths are growing quickly and bloomed a couple of times this season. Water lilies are flowering every day. Have not seen a bloom on Hyacinths in about 3 weeks. Has been really hot here in the past couple of weeks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just watched a video that explains if the water is fertilized they won’t bloom, they will multiply but no blooms. So those that are in fishless ponds have lots of blooms, and those with fish are getting fertilized by the fish poop and will not bloom. Ours are in a turtle pond, so that explains why ours haven’t bloomed.
It may as the store where I get them has no fish in the area he grows his. And tons of blooms. But I hVe had blooms with my koi too

Ask a Question