Country
United States
Post your favorite forums and web pages

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Koiphen is the only other one I k is with any meaningful membership. There are some really active Facebook groups. Some of the pros you see all the time on YouTube will post there.

There’s the r/ponds sub on Reddit, but it’s not very active. r/landscaping and r/gardening are good, but not pond specific.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There's only one forum for me. I used to post on Koiphen and one other (the name escapes me) but got tired of being bullied for having a rocked in/gravel bottom pond. I've looked at a few Facebook groups (thanks @Mmathis !) but can hardly handle some of the ignorance that's too frequently on display.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to moderate at another pond forum and this one, but that one died a slow death. I was in charge of the garden pond area most were koi peeps they did not like my pond set up ie bog garden goldfish pond.

This is the only one, I don't have the time or desire to join others.

Other than searching for how to build a big bog in 2010 where I read a lot of the monster pond building sites, I have not been on others.

Other forums, bees, car, computer and boat, but most of them I am a hit and miss member.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I too used to be very active on a major forum that went under when the multi-magazine conglomerate ownership was sold off. It had a good pond area and freshwater/saltwater fish, aquatic plants etc. I started a brackish water section on the forum that was fun. But this is the best and friendliest site. Members here are so courteous and truly knowledgeable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I joined a couple on Facebook and then quickly removed myself from them. It is just really difficult to be in a group of thousands. There are too many weirdos. For now, I am still in the Aquascape group started by Greg Wittstock. But I may just lurk. I've promised my husband I will be careful (even on here) about posting too much personal info -- but I can be an over-sharer. (I'm sure you already knew that.) It's easy to feel really friendly and even close with strangers in a small group. The bigger the group, the more unwise that is. This is obviously not pond related but it is a good example of why I'm wary about internet groups in general: I'm in a group of antique Christmas collectors that started with a handful of people back in the 70s, I think. A lot of these folks are elderly and have been collecting and researching for decades. They are true experts and have literally written books. A great source of accurate information. The group has benefited some from technology but I think it has really suffered, too. The Facebook group has gone out of control - people post stuff outside the set parameters of the group and random people answer questions with incorrect information. I see some of the older members really struggling to keep things from going completely off the rails. It's unfortunate. I think I will probably just keep my group activity on this forum and avoid others altogether!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
GPF is my primary forum. I occasionally check in with KOIPHEN. I am on a few FB groups (Louisiana gardeners, box turtles, cats, ponds….), but the only FB groups that I really enjoy are a couple of veterinary groups. And why do I like those? Only approved contributors and veterinarians/vet techs are allowed to respond to any questions. I got tired of the general cat groups with members posting about a medical/veterinary issue…..and all of the ridiculous, unsafe (etc.) advice that random people gave — and OMG, the arguments and accusations!

Oh, and I like a couple of FB groups that deal with realtime aircraft emergencies.

A few examples for the FB vet groups:
82DE7687-BA16-4907-8B8D-B866C1DF7513.jpeg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I share almost nothing even on FB which I visit maybe a few times a week maybe.

Never post a trip while you are gone etc etc

Real life keeps me to busy to type stuff that in xx amount of time means nothing, instagram twitter etc. I follow no one.

I will check out those vet sites, it is nice to be able to ask ??'s without running to the vet.
Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
people post stuff outside the set parameters of the group

This is death to any FB group. We have a neighborhood page and have to frequently remind people that it's not their personal page for sharing every single thing that comes across their feed. It's so annoying when a group has a singular purpose to have people sharing unrelated things that they happen to find funny or interesting. I'm one of the moderators of the group and have to constantly remind certain members FOR THE GOOD OF THE GROUP ONLY PLEASE!

and random people answer questions with incorrect information.

And the second group killer! Ugh. The worst.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stopped at a Harley Dealer over the weekend with my custom Street Glide when one of the hood ornaments" the chick in skin tight top and hot pants and boots " came walking over started saying how much she loved the bike never saw one like it she asked if she could take a picture of it and i told her it was a free country and when she said she was going to put the picture up on face book and put it in her group i said she was welcome to have a pic for herself but that i did not welcome face book in any way shape or form. We would all be better off wiithout face book and twitter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Lisak1: DID ANYONE ELSE HEAR A LOUD BANG!?

haha! "Who's shooting off fireworks? My kids/dogs/cats/houseplants are terrified!" "Is anyone else having problems with their internet/cable/phone/electricity?" "The guy in the black Honda CRV needs to slow down when driving through this neighborhood or I'll call the cops!" "Why were the police/ambulance/fire trucks/ delivery van in the neighborhood?"

I could go on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's exactly why i could care less about face book it gives week people a voice they would never open there mouths to in person. I really don't care if you and your dogs KITTY CATS are afraid or fireworks. Nor do i really care if your offended that the word MAN is is the word Woman get over it. I bought a t shirt online last night that says white, straight ,conservative , How else can i offend you today !

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This is the only forum I am on. Used to be a mod on a pond/reef section of another aquatic forum years back, but got out of reef keeping for awhile, so stopped going on forums, pond section of that forum was a little slow.

Never have got into social media ie Twitter, FB, Instagram, prefer to be doing things that bring me joy as opposed to telling others about what I am doing or about to do.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Never have got into social media ie Twitter, FB, Instagram, prefer to be doing things that bring me joy as opposed to telling others about what I am doing or about to do.
Same here waste your life typing stuff that nobody really cares about.

Ask a Question