j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's funny about facebook, nobody on our road is on my facebook and I'll keep it that way.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If my neighbors are on facebook I have no clue, I very seldom look at face book.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
That's funny about facebook, nobody on our road is on my facebook and I'll keep it that way.
Our subdivision has a closed FB group for residents only. At first it was a good way to communicate a lost dog, local news etc.......but it's degenerated . Our immediate next door neighbor is terrific, we have keys to each other's homes, watch each others dogs etc....but there sure are a lot of nosey and judgmental folks in the subdivision.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I ony know my neighbors when they need help with something and seem to come to me to figure it out or help them .They all seem nice and always wave or stop to say hello if they seem me down near the road .Only 1 I know good is Tammy and her hubby .I have talked to others when I go for a walk but that is it .I went shopping for fleas today and made out pretty good again .I have 5 new neighbors and ony meant 2 of them .When I moved here there were only 6 houses on about 3 miles of roads that dead end .3 of the houses are empty ,foreclosed on .I think now there are 20 houses .There are 4 brand new modular homes here .4 are from NJ and one from up in Maine and another that moved here a couple of years ago from Vermont and all are retired like us .Keeps up we may need a senior center :giggle:.The lots left are ditch's and creek floods them so will probably never be sold .Most of the lots here are an acre and up .The other area is a horse farm and a cow farm and cows and horses are noisier than the people and they also have trespassed on my property I have came home a couple of times to a horse or cow trespasser .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
nextdoor.com is a site I like to use. There is one for most cities in the U.S. You must give them your correct address and name and they try to keep it safe. After you give the admin your correct address you can later change it to a general street instead to protect your privacy, after they check you out to make sure you are real. They use other neighbors to let them know if all is on the up and up w/you.
I can find out what's going on crimewise, roaming critters like bear, cougar etc. sitings, free stuff, for sale, lost and found, recommendations, people looking for help fixing this and that.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Next door got started here, I need to cut down the emails, so far it is just about selling, needing work done and wanting work. But it is some info of what is happening. I don't post anything.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When we first moved in, one by one all the people on our street (and near by) came knocking on our door baring gifts and offering help with whatever we may needed.
It was very unusual for us city folks, but we figured that had to be the country living .
It was ok for a while, then we started hearing stories about the family that lived in our house, how they borrowed things all the time instead of buying their own...so hubby and I realized just how fake they were and made it a point to never ask for anything ...then the gathering took a different turn, they didn't seem just friendly get together anymore, there was always a "topic of discussion" and always evolving something our neighbors wanted from hubby and I, like : join their church...trying to get us to drink... to ok a dumpster at the entrance of the street ....to build an entrance flowerbed.... a legitimate Street sign...to allow them to expand the grating of the road to enlarge 10 to 12" into our lawn etc etc. Since the entrance on the dead end road is on my property, they felt we were to pay for it but they were to decide what and how........We said no to every request (except for the flowerbed but we built it the way WE wanted it ).
Eventually we got tired of their constant trying to dictate what we had to do, and stopped going to gatherings.
I forgot the very drop that tilted the scale, when a new family moved in and I was told it was my duty to bake them cookies and go meet them...I said "No, first I see if I like them and then MAYBE I will bake them cookies" ...and that was the end of a neighborly friendship

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When we first moved in, one by one all the people on our street (and near by) came knocking on our door baring gifts and offering help with whatever we may needed.
lol when we moved in all I got was a proposition from the neighbor....................said no lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have some nosy neighbours, and some great ones. When we first got this house a letter arrived in the mail saying, how wonderful it was that such an old neglected New England beauty was going to be restored to its former glory. Now when some pipes from the town water supply had to be installed and the front porch had to be removed to install them, another letter arrived telling us how awful we were to inflict such a scar on a house that really should be listed as historical. When I was painting the house a lovely pale color, I received another letter explaining that I was obviously lacking any knowledge on New England history, and that the only acceptable color on such a grand old lady of a house is white. Now that was the wrong thing to say to me, as far I'm concerned this is my family's home. Both my husband and I were working 60 hour work weeks, then after work we spent night after night fixing this house up to make it habitable for us, not for some cowardly wonder who never even signed a name to any letter. The best part is I changed my mind and painted the house a lovely loud color after that last letter. Now for privacy I don't do facebook, I also use an e-mail with my first name followed by made up names, at a local function some years ago a woman asked me if my husband was the father of my son as she noticed the different names only for security reasons of course, I told her we had the same last name and that the email name was different, some people just have no boundaries I guess. I have also been told I need a stone wall out front, with some shrubs if possible. So needless to say, I do not have a wall out front, my house will never be white, and any more comments about how I should keep my yard or house, and I'll let my friend spray paint a mural on the garage. Talking and swapping ideas about things is great, telling me what to do with my home without any conversation or introduction is just rude in my opinion.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can't even really see our house from the street, just the end of the garage, sort of. We love it. Dare anybody to complain..............

Stripped cleaned the fridge, easy to do since it is almost empty! cut the curls off the pup, she is heading for hot weather. Still need to clean up her face but she was to wired, let her calm a bit. Her hairy feet are the hardest thing to groom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Geez @Tara , my neighbors are bad, but yours are way worse!
I also have some of the best neighbours you can find, one neighbour and I swap goodies from our gardens over the fence during the good seasons or sit in the garden for coffee and what not. My other neighbor is also a gem, she took my cat to the vet one time when I was not home and the poor thing was sick, she even sat with my cat until I got home and had purchased a bed for him. In an old neighborhood you just always find the few contrary ones it seems.

Ask a Question