addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wish I could not be seen from the street.
We love it, when we bought this house, neither honey or I could remember what it looked like, all we knew is we saw nothing but woods and fields from the house. I bought it while still in AZ no inspections, rented it back to the owner for a year while I got ready to quit my job and move.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I also have some of the best neighbours you can find, one neighbour and I swap goodies from our gardens over the fence during the good seasons or sit in the garden for coffee and what not. My other neighbor is also a gem, she took my cat to the vet one time when I was not home and the poor thing was sick, she even sat with my cat until I got home and had purchased a bed for him. In an old neighborhood you just always find the few contrary ones it seems.
You're lucky!
There are new families in my neighborhood that moved in after I stopped socializing, perhaps some might even be nice but I'm not kin to take the risk, I pretty much lost all interest in socializing with people, in person. ...that's too bad cause I'd make a hell of a good friend

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We love it, when we bought this house, neither honey or I could remember what it looked like, all we knew is we saw nothing but woods and fields from the house. I bought it while still in AZ no inspections, rented it back to the owner for a year while I got ready to quit my job and move.
I love my house now, as a first home it cheap in a good neighborhood and good schools. No one brought it as it was derelict for a long time, also got a bonus as the yard was a lot larger than the realtor listed, only found that out when we had the boundaries done. So all in all we paid a fraction of the cost for the going rate in this area, but I love it more now that ever after all the sweat and tears that went into making it a home. However I never want to sheetrock or mud and tape ever again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I know this sounds like a boast. I truly don't mean to come across that way, but am blessed to be able to live on the other end of the spectrum.
We are extremely fortunate to have excellent neighbors. All of the immediate (as "immediate" as a rural neighborhood can be..) neighbors have more property, better kept homes, and are worth far more in assets than we are. None of them act superior, in fact I hold keys to five of the houses and keep an eye on their places and collect their mail/packages when they are out of town. Three of the guys are over here for a coffee, beer or just a visit a couple times a week which prevents me from getting much done sometimes, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
During the winter we gab out in the shop by the wood stove. One guy has a dog that gets along very well with my dog and when he's out for a walk he'll swing by and pick us up and we'll walk the dogs together.
During the summer we sit out in the "Inn" and discuss and cuss the political scene both local and national.
In some area's of the country you're likely to see an old refrigerator, washer, or drier on the front porch, which is a tip-off of the status of the occupants. Being this is Maine, I have two pulling boats on my porch.......same message, different methods. :)
Once a year I move out the old truck, clean up the shop and set up a couple of eight foot tables, borrow two dozen folding chairs from the church, and we have a pot-luck dinner in the shop. Everybody brings something to share. (The ladies decide who'll bring what so there's not all one dish.) After dinner we go out back by the pond and I light all the candles one by one by myself (with my remote clicker thingy- they're all battery powered:) ) and we'll have coffee, an adult beverage, or whatever. In the fall another neighbor will put on a shindig at their place.
Some of the families have grand kids that come to visit in the summer and they ask if they can bring the kids by the pond. I tell the kids "My pond, my rules! Agreed?" The kids and the parents/grand parents know I won't suffer anything dangerous or deliberately destructive.
All in all, I've never lived in a better neighborhood.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
look at her feet addy how funny .I had to get used to every one here waving to you and saying hello .Coming from NJ where a wave was usually a one finger wave :)
;)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
look at her feet addy how funny
I use a beard clipper on her feet, her hair gets so long she picks up everything. I used to use scissors but she fights them.

Everyone waves here but not many stop and gab.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am the gabber of the family. If you want to talk I will talk if you don't want do fine also.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hey @Gemma you seem like a nice person, if you are ever in my neck of the woods you can come in for a beverage, I'll even show you my pond and let you feed my favourite koi.:D
This is the nicest thing anyone ever said to me! Thank you!
...and yes same goes to you!

Ask a Question