addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The roof flashing stuff needs dry to attach, the pl stuff in the tube. It does not like wet. There is silicone at the stores that can be applied when wet and roof goop that can be applied to wet.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Started the pump on my 12 window box bogs today. Only 2 have anything in them but I have canna, day lilies, watercress and water mnt to get in them. Temps ate supposed to be in 70s this weekend so hopefully will get all planted. Water is pea soup!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Watching two mallards check out our pond and bog.
d.JPG
d1.JPG
d2.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wonder if they will build a nest there and start a family? Have you had them before? Guess they found a way in and out of the net.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don’t want ducks near my pond! They make be pretty, but having had some, I know they are poop machines! Wild ducks can stick to the river and ponds other than mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It’s nice out, so I slipped out to go get pics of flowers, bees, and check on fish. My bees are wild, and I was worried I’d need to support them till more blooms popped out, but I see my crab apple took care of that! I did offer them sugar water, but haven’t seen any use it. They nest in a big old hollow tree of paradise, way too high for us to reach.
DFA188AE-C30C-4434-86C7-D23614E94B12.jpeg
8B591E34-9232-4DD1-8BFD-103730B04DFA.jpeg2034363A-4516-4E3A-B1BE-349779B3748D.jpegDFA188AE-C30C-4434-86C7-D23614E94B12.jpegF52BDDF5-09F0-4F5C-8A5D-CAB36D2EF232.jpegAC7931B5-4F49-4038-A0A6-50FDCD6B5B31.jpegFF7CD6CB-0B43-44CE-B03D-929251C01A00.jpeg8A906D8B-B7B7-4A44-BFA7-C825A64AF8B0.jpeg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wonder if they will build a nest there and start a family? Have you had them before? Guess they found a way in and out of the net.
There is a open area in the net out in the deep end. They flew into the hole and when leaving I watched them swim backwards, looking at the opening and the net until they were far enough back to take off without issue. They kept going into the bog, thought they would fly from there, but went back into the pond.

I had they years ago , just a stop by. I would love it if they would stay and have babies. But doubt they would survive long we have a ton of hawks.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bees are wild, and I was worried I’d need to support them till more blooms popped out, but I see my crab apple took care of that! I did offer them sugar water, but haven’t seen any use it. They nest in a big old hollow tree of paradise, way too high for us to reach.
If it is cold they won't touch sugar water if it is below 50ish. Also if any natural nectar is out there they ignore sugar water.

A surviving wild bee hive is gold. That means they have been able to survive the mites and viruses. See if you can catch a swarm. Put out a few swarm traps. Good queen genetics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We’ve thought of that. The tree is old, rotten and hollow at the base, and could come down very easily, those things loose limbs every storm. Dad and I would love to keep some bees, but are totally clueless. His brother does it professionally, and I found a beekeeper group locally, but naturally they meet on nights I work. With them right in our front yard, it’s be a competition if I had a hive, but if I can catch them if that tree ever comes down I will. As rough as last year was, I didn’t see any swarms. There were three previously, but none last year. I suspect the late storms and then the crap sprayed on the cotton made it a bad year for the hive. This year, I bought flower seeds for a pollinators garden, which I’ll be planting. We are going to freeze Sunday morning, possibly a hard freeze, so they may need the sugar water then. Lord knows, late freezes ruined our crop of apples last year, killed every bud, didn’t get a single one

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi everyone!
smwaving.gif

I was finally able to turn on the new pond last night, the other pond has been running for a week and the fish are already coming at the surface .The fish in the new pond made it through the winter
smyes.gif
but they are still laying on the bottom for the water is a bit colder than the other pond.
The temporary greenhouse went up and is already full of potted plants, so exciting, I can't wait to start working in the flower gardens
...I love this time a year!
smgardening2.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The roof flashing stuff needs dry to attach, the pl stuff in the tube. It does not like wet. There is silicone at the stores that can be applied when wet and roof goop that can be applied to wet.
Well it look ugly as sin and is still leaking - LOL. I will pass this info on to hubby, or go look at Lowes myself :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We’ve thought of that. The tree is old, rotten and hollow at the base, and could come down very easily, those things loose limbs every storm. Dad and I would love to keep some bees, but are totally clueless. His brother does it professionally, and I found a beekeeper group locally, but naturally they meet on nights I work. With them right in our front yard, it’s be a competition if I had a hive, but if I can catch them if that tree ever comes down I will. As rough as last year was, I didn’t see any swarms. There were three previously, but none last year. I suspect the late storms and then the crap sprayed on the cotton made it a bad year for the hive. This year, I bought flower seeds for a pollinators garden, which I’ll be planting. We are going to freeze Sunday morning, possibly a hard freeze,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We’ve thought of that. The tree is old, rotten and hollow at the base, and could come down very easily, those things loose limbs every storm. Dad and I would love to keep some bees, but are totally clueless. His brother does it professionally, and I found a beekeeper group locally, but naturally they meet on nights I work. With them right in our front yard, it’s be a competition if I had a hive, but if I can catch them if that tree ever comes down I will. As rough as last year was, I didn’t see any swarms. There were three previously, but none last year. I suspect the late storms and then the crap sprayed on the cotton made it a bad year for the hive. This year, I bought flower seeds for a pollinators garden, which I’ll be planting. We are going to freeze Sunday morning, possibly a hard freeze,
Oops, didn’t realize it had already posted. Ignore that one!

Ask a Question