addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you explain what you used and how you made the mini bog?

This is the set up like I said pretty simple.
20190417_164135.jpg

The lines

Red line going to the left is the gutter waterfall, one of those gutter down spout splash things, red line going to the right is feeding the ex planter. The line comes in the bottom and under the pea gravel. The metal shelf is to hold it on the corner. Stainless ex sink thing.

The pump and small matala prefilter are at the bottom red circle. I have a T coming off the line from the pump to feed both items.
hottub lines.JPG

The planter box, cut out a piece for the flow back into the pond. Weakened the wall a bit, I might try to find a slightly bigger tougher planter. Any escaping water goes right into the pond. I just stuck the pieces of water willow into it.

20190417_164154.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Still hunting this sucker! It's actually larger than it looks, I took the pic from the kitchen window...the mesh squares are
1 and 1/2"

bullfrog.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sure is!
On a good note your pink water lily made it through the winter, I can't wait to see it in bloom! :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
@addy1

Thanks for the pictures and explanation.

Just to be clear, you have water pumping into the planter from the bottom (using a bulkhead?) The planter is filled (1/2 way?) with pea gravel and water flows up through the gravel and out the side?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I worked till 11, then got notified that our wild bee tree came down in the storm. Just posted pics. The pics aren’t good, it’s dark. But tomorrow I’ll be trying to go help any I can. I did my best to protect the bees from any more storm that may hit. I’ll be trying to watch them to see where they move to.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, just cut a hole in the side of the planter and leave the top edge intact. That should help it hold up.

It was a thing I made around 4 years ago for the deck pond. So just used it. Need to upgrade a bit. IE go buy a new planter. It was a experiment.

Just to be clear, you have water pumping into the planter from the bottom (using a bulkhead?) The planter is filled (1/2 way?) with pea gravel and water flows up through the gravel and out the side?

I had a hole already in the bottom of the pot, just stuck the 3/4 inch radiator hose through the hole. Any leakage goes right back into the pond, wrapped a bit of tape around it. So just a few drips end up back in the pond.
I have pea gravel on the bottom, kitty litter on top. Set up in around 15 minutes. I like how it is working so will now upgrade the planter.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That makes me wonder if I could use kitty litter in the 150g bog I just built. I ran out of lava rock and pea gravel and still have several areas with deep water. Never considered the litter and wondering if it could work.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
trimming hlf a tank of true fuel and did over half the trimming .I would have used 2 tanks of gas by now .I am glad that the guy convinced me that fuel is worth it .Trimmer does not gum up and started right up on first try .Kitty litter will cake up and not filter the water ,you can test it out in a pan of water .I took a bag of it out of my filter and it was like a rock or cement

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
trimming hlf a tank of true fuel and did over half the trimming .I would have used 2 tanks of gas by now .I am glad that the guy convinced me that fuel is worth it .Trimmer does not gum up and started right up on first try .Kitty litter will cake up and not filter the water ,you can test it out in a pan of water .I took a bag of it out of my filter and it was like a rock or cement
Found some more rock so no oil-dri in the bog.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That makes me wonder if I could use kitty litter in the 150g bog I just built. I ran out of lava rock and pea gravel and still have several areas with deep water. Never considered the litter and wondering if it could work.
I used it, except for the first amount of powder dust the litter is staying in place just fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Apparently my plans for cleaning house are being hijacked to play midwife to a cat. Three kittens so far, two black and whites like mom, and a calico.

Ask a Question