JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I made a NASCAR logo decoration. I originally planned to hang it on my wall, but it's sitting on one of my small shelves for now.
IMG_2317.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Going to our last market today! Put everything away until next year

Record heat coming back, terribly dry. We usually get around 4ish inches of rain in the month of Sep. so far we have received 0.3 inches.

I am adding a lot of water to the ponds, the heat, dry air, zero rain is sucking the water out of the pond. The bog plants are consuming a lot.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We haven't had any real rain since the big storm in June that flooded our basement. Still working on drains to fix it. Pond levels dropping every day! I need to work on weir for one of the Savios as it is leaking and our water bill is thru the roof trying to keep things alive. Today is finish drain piping, fix weir, top off pond #2 and cut down more dried out weeds!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Record heat coming back, terribly dry. We usually get around 4ish inches of rain in the month of Sep. so far we have received 0.3 inches.

It's too bad we can't figure out how to share rain fall - we're way over what we need, with lots more predicted for today. South of us they got 5-8 inches over night. If we get more, flooding will commence. Luckily we are on high ground but I do feel bad for those who deal with flooding on a regular basis.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yea last year it never seemed to stop raining, flooding constantly. This year...............dry, at least now.
our water bill is thru the roof trying to keep things alive.
I don't water anything, except a few potted plants, the fields are too far away, the plants either live or they die.
The ponds are inhaling water. Very happy we are on a well and not paying for the water, except electricity for the pump.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
300 lbs of sugar ready for one feeding, two hives fed from each bucket around 2 gallons per hive. The sugar water will be gone in around 48 hours, if not less. It is 2/1, two parts sugar to one part water and a bit of vinegar to make the sugar water more acidic.

20190929_115718.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are so dry there is minimal nectar being produced. Usually they are in better shape for the winter by now. Since the last inspection they have inhaled any capped honey they had in the hives. And that is with us doing a open feeding of 24 - 5 lb buckets of sugar water. We do have around 5 hives that have a decent amount of capped honey, they get a light feeding the rest we are slamming the sugar water down. Feeding every few days. 300 lbs each time. Costco loves us. Sugar is cheaper at walmart but they don't stock enough, they are out of it every week.

If we drop to 50f they quit taking it and this time of year you never know when it will happen. So we need them ready before a temp drop hits.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sheesh I hope you didn't find that out the hard way @addy1
lol no stings, but one time I went out side, was bottling honey for the market, did not wash down, next thing I knew I had a invasion of yellow jackets and a few honey bees heading for my arms. Headed right back in washed down with a bunch of soap. Honey is hard to get off. Wasps and bees can smell it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow those bees can really chow down! View attachment 124814
yeah each hive gets around 2 gallons of sugar water and it is gone so fast. Just think of the drops each bee sucks up, tiny drops compared to 2 gallons and they make the feeders empty really fast.

Ask a Question