Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know you probably already know this, but layers are your friend. My wife uses probably 3; a comforter, a blanket, another blanket. But then, the house is kept at 62 at night, so....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol dear hubby sleeps with pj's three blankets and a comforter. Me a sheet , one light blanket. Room , in the winter, around 57, summer 65 or so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
SpongeBob_kicked_out_of_the_museum.gif
Trying to find a good online Christmas music radio station that I can have running in the background.

Brokensword and jw, take it outside, eh? :p

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you get a list of the terms you don’t know, I’ll translate! The shots can cause inflammation if placed wrong, or you already have an issue near there. Take a Tylenol before getting your shot, and every 8 hrs for a day or two after if they do swell at the site.

Hey thanks you must be in the medical field. I never like shots to begin with and never get any but my MD told me when you get older the pneumonia shots can save your life. I don't get flu shots or others. Only get the tetanus when required. I don't take Nsaids. I use Curcumin, Resveretrol and Omega 3's to calm any inflammation and they work great together. I was taking Ibuprofen every day and then upping the dose and they are very bad for you so a few yrs ago I started the 3 above supplements and they work wonders. I had lower back pain from self fused lower back due to arthritis. Now all is good.

@brokensword we have a woodstove downstairs and upstairs doesn't get heated that well especially when we shut the door up there to keep the cat out. I have two blankets and a comforter, just need that little extra warmth for that first get into the frozen bed feeling. Right now I have a heated throw on there so thinking that will be fine for the few minutes of warmth.

@addy1 I just need something for the first step into the freezer :happy: After that I would be too hot leaving it on, sweating and throwing off all the covers! Not worth the high price of those electric dual control deals. Throw from Costco cost like $20. I like that and it works fine so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know it might sound 'odd', but if you could create some sort of 'opening' from the lower to the upper floor, something like a duct with adjustable louvers, it might warm the bedroom enough so you don't get that freeze. Warm air rises so your bedroom should be warmer if it could access some of the wood stove air. If you get my drift.

Just an idea.

Michael

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I know it might sound 'odd', but if you could create some sort of 'opening' from the lower to the upper floor, something like a duct with adjustable louvers, it might warm the bedroom enough so you don't get that freeze. Warm air rises so your bedroom should be warmer if it could access some of the wood stove air. If you get my drift.

Just an idea.

Michael

Yep I get it but just too complicated to do that as the bedroom is on the opposite end of the house of the woodstove. Hubby would never do it and not that biggy to just use the throw on top of the other blankets for a few minutes. I have an easy switch to reach to easily click it off when had enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yep, I’m a medic in the Guard. Maybe up the dose on what you take before you get the shots. Might help.
As for the chill, I use the cats to warm my bed! I’ve got 5 that think my bed is theirs too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Real quick, who knows some good easy Christmas cookie recipes? I’ve got to make like 200+ for a party.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@JamieB

I love the Spritz butter cookies! You gotta have one of those twisty metal squeeze things tho to make them. Easy tho and just throw some sprinkles on them and I usually just make them round like a wreath. Everyone love them!
Swedish Spritz
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
2&3/4 cup Flour
Cream butter, add sugar, cream till real creamy.
Add egg yolks, one at a time, then flour, cream more.
Bake @350 on ungreased cookie sheet.
I think 10 mins or so to cook but I don't have that written down. Just don't let them get brown.

Not sure how many this batch makes but you'll have to prolly quadruple or more to make 200.
They look something like this when done but I add the colored red and green sprinkle to brighten them up.
Spritz.jpg

Here is the press. And it comes w/a round metal shape w/a single star hole to make the wreath ones.

s-l225.jpg

also:

Butter Nut Ball Cookies

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
2&1/4 cups sifted flour
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Powdered Sugar as needed

Beat butter till soft, add the 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Stir in vanilla & salt. Gradually add flour. Work in nuts thoroughly.Chill dough 1 hour. Form into 1" balls. Place balls on ungreased cookie sheet & bake at 350 10 - 12 mins.
Dough should be set but not brown. Roll while warm in sifted powdered sugar.
Cool. Roll in powdered sugar again.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
Nut butter balls.jpg

Last edited:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
we have a woodstove downstairs and upstairs doesn't get heated that well especially when we shut the door up there to keep the cat out
JW- We have the same issue with cats not allowed near woodstove so put a sceen door on the basement and put a small corner fan in the doorway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think I may have just scored big. My poor car (‘84 Buick park ave) has transmission issues, and as my boss was pulling the semi out, the trailer scraped down the side. I happened to be going through Craigslist and found a guy looking for a project car, who had a waterfall pump and some pond liner. He’s willing to trade! I can’t fix the car, I don’t have the skill to do it myself or the money to pay to have it done. Since the pump I had got destroyed, I need some kind of circulation in the pond, and once I have an aquaponics bed set up, it’ll be perfect! I’ll use the liner for one or two of the beds. Depends on how it works out. I’m sure the car is worth more, but it’ll just rot there or get turned into scrap. He wants to fix it and use it. That makes me happy! And he’s a pond guy! He used to do landscaping and put in ponds, so I’ll be able to find out what works well in this area, maybe trade some fish with him next year.

Ask a Question