Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I fixed a big plate to take to work. Big mistake, I ate 3/4ths of it and suddenly I needed a bed! But I finished my work, and am home now to enjoy more of it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m doomed to be a crazy cat lady. We have 10 or so cats, depending on wether or not ones just roaming or actually gone, I haven’t seen him in a few days, but they show up randomly on occasion after returning from a long hunt out in the barn or back field. I was giving cats bits of turkey this morning, and looked outside. I saw a cat I didn’t recognize, longish black hair, a streak of white on the side of the muzzle, floppy ear from old fights. Dad says it’s one of ours, I say no, it’s new. He steps out to prove me wrong and it ( I presume he, based on signs of fights and wide face) runs off. So I described our current cats, then scroll through not so recent pics, and now I need to see it’s paws to know if it’s a new one or an old one that has returned after being away a few years.
Then, as I was getting ready to go to bed, my cat reminded me to check the mouse traps, and I got another one. Freshly killed mouse treat for Ziggy. He happily played with it, then brought it over, and I tossed it for him. He chases then plays with it, then brings it back for me to toss again. Wait, my cat is teaching me to play fetch with him! So there I was, tossing a dead mouse for my cat to hunt down, then he brings it back for me to toss again... Somehow I expect I can expect him to be the kind of cat that once he’s an accomplished hunter, will bring me trophies from his kills, and do stuff like leave me a mouse skin in my shoes, or just the ears, (things others have done) but so long as he stops leaving the butt and guts laying around, I expect I’ll be fine! So yeah, I’m becoming a crazy cat lady this year. Emphasis on crazy! I’m totally cool with random cats showing up here, I play fetch with them, and toss dead mice around, and am looking forward to receiving gifts from them. Next thing I know, they’ll be joining me in the shower, instead of just peaking around the curtains!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Kitty progress. Seven ( her name, she was rehomed with us) has finally decided that laps other than dads are acceptable to rest in. Previously, only his lap was good enough, but apparently after over a year, with treats, petting, and bringing her in past the rambunctious dogs, I can provide a suitable lap. Of the three cats that came from that home, old man CJ has passed away from old age, Possum still hasn’t decided on which human she wants to be her special slave, Seven decided dad is hers, but now she can accept others when he is busy or away. Today, that is my lap!

Attachments

• EF432C31-131E-4E15-9C83-E34264EDD903.jpeg
    EF432C31-131E-4E15-9C83-E34264EDD903.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 27
  • C13D904E-FA5B-43BB-B61D-9DF053014A95.jpeg
    C13D904E-FA5B-43BB-B61D-9DF053014A95.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 24

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Today just waking up, yesterday made a huge pot of chili................so good! Got a new garage door ours was worn out!

Today, doc appt, hubby, dentist appt, both, dog grooming appt, lil bear

Our cute feisty lil bear has become impossible to groom. The two of us could not control his total "fear" of the snipping sissors, even though I have cut his hair since we have had him. He sort of tolerates the clippers, sort of. I called the breeder, she said he is acting like his dad, said take him to a stranger groomer for x visits and he will get better. I called our vet, whom say they groom, nope covid, but the recommended a groomer right down the road. A older lady certified master groomer. She was laughing when I told her about his antics, says she knows exactly the type of dog he is. So first visit to the alpha groomer! I told her I did not want fofo grooming just a puppy cut.

20201127_205020.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@addy1 You might want to google Deborah Jones & 'cooperative care for dogs'. Deb has written a nice comprehensive book & also has a FB page regarding cooperative husbandry. I would also caution you to question the groomer to make absolutely certain she isn't going to use forceful restraint or other 'Alpha' techniques on your puppy. :( Depending on his age, he could be going through a secondary/adolescent fear imprint period & further scaring/forcing him could lead to long-lasting problems & make things much worse. (just my unsolicited 2 cents)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No problem, we have done a lot of reading trying different methods etc. I will look up Deborah Jones and do more reading. He is my #7 yorkie the first one I have not been able to gentle into grooming.

I call her a alpha groomer, since it won't be me MOM that reacts to his antics. She has been highly recommended by our vet.

Miss Gail Is a National Certified Master Groomer and full Member of National Dog Groomers association Of America, A life Member Of International Society of canine cosmetologists,A Certified Animal Hygienist, and certified in Pet First Aid, I have been Grooming Since 1976 when I got my first job as a Brusher Bather.I have also trained and bred dogs since that time.
This shop is my dream come true It is my goal to Make my clients feel like part of my family. Thats the 2 legged pet parent and the 4 legged kids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hopefully she'll have just the right magic touch to make him happy & comfortable with the process. It's so easy (as I'm sure you well know!) to overwhelm & frighten the littlest of pups! You can also ask her if she's familiar with the Fear Free program. That will be another indication of her continuing education & commitment to gentle handling & restraint techniques.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
He is 8.5 months right now. 4.5 lbs
That could very well be it, then. Generally the secondary fear periods show up between 6 &14-ish months. Since smaller dogs tend to mature more quickly than large ones, adolescence shows up earlier, and he's tiny indeed!! I hope his appointment went well today.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hope his appointment went well today.
The groomer said a hour, in 35 minutes she brought him back out and said he was a angel! stood still, no fear of the scissors, she was able to groom right up to his eyes, even kept his long eye lashes. He was not shaking acting fearful, just happy to see me.

from this
20201127_205020.jpg

to this
20201201_173308.jpg
20201201_173228.jpg

hard to get a good picture on this little speed demon

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy ....Whiskey? ...... and no I meant for the pup . AT 4.5 POUNDS TWO EYE DROPPERS FULL SHOULD DO IT LOL

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy ....Whiskey? ...... and no I meant for the pup . AT 4.5 POUNDS TWO EYE DROPPERS FULL SHOULD DO IT LOL
That would work, but going to the groomer, 16 minute drive, sit for 35 minutes drive home.................will be my method for awhile. With my hands using the scissors also makes them hurt, so a win win for me.

Ask a Question