Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I might go for a single butterfly koi, I’m debating on if a solid black, white, or silver would be the most striking. I’ll have to judge after the shubinkin are full sized.

Platinum Ogon are solid white and metallic so they really show and even come in GinRin (sparkly). Karasu koi are solid black even though the belly can be different colors, they are not metallic (unless they've managed to create a new version ) Karasu are beautiful in a clear tank and on picture, but in the pond, it will be the fish you hardly ever see. A Gin Matsuba is silver and metallic.
In my opinion, the butterfly Platinum Ogon is by far the most showy and beautiful of all 3

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thats the exact one I use. American Security has been great, had a cable get cut and they repaired it free. These cameras have held up better than any others I have had.
I like the fact you can turn off the infrared night lights, a lot less algae grows on the lens with them off.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The latest one I got did not have the controler for the light. It is also not rated for constant underwater use but is working fine. I let them know that so far, water tight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I like the fact you can turn off the infrared night lights, a lot less algae grows on the lens with them off.
@addy1 The Barlus I have allows you to turn off both IR leds and daylight ones. They have another model which has some sort of lens wiper (I don't have this one, have no idea how well it works). My underwater cam is an IP camera which means it only needs the one cable (though you need a PoE injector at the router too; not expensive).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
need to find one that will go directly to wifi like a nest or ring
@GBBUDD I don't think as of this writing, there are any because WIFI will not transmit through water. It needs a waterproof antenna attached to the cam and it must be elevated above water where it transmits the signal. I believe I saw something like this on a Dory submersible RV. So you might investigate that sort of setup. I've gotten the wifi signal up from an underwater gopro cam but it wasn't clean and the latency was pretty bad. From the YT vids of the Dory, it looks a lot more refined.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Understood water is the definition or lack of communications. However it wouldn't be hard to have a tether that had a pod sitting above the surface that had the wifi,
Or in that instance a separate piece of equipment I could plug it into to make it wifi

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Waiting for it to rain so I can use my new bright oj umbrella that my nice neighbor gave me cuz she said my dark one hid me from sight too much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Understood water is the definition or lack of communications. However it wouldn't be hard to have a tether that had a pod sitting above the surface that had the wifi,
Or in that instance a separate piece of equipment I could plug it into to make it wifi
that's the way the Dory works. Thing is, you'd always have the buoy on your pond and the camera with a permanent tether. That said, you could devise ways to hide both--I'm thinking a decoy to be your buoy and house the transmitter while the tether could be strung down alongside one pond wall to your permanent camera. Too, the buoy portion would have to have a battery. Doesn't seem insurmountable. Check on Dory, underwater RV and see if it might be retro-fitted. I believe I saw prices in the low 300's for the unit.

Pricewise, for me it's a wash with the Barlus. And with PoE, all I had to do was get the feed into the house and hooked up to a PoE injector. No batteries to worry about, no worry either re temps (like this winter), no worry re waterproofing, though the Dory should be good that way.

B

Burd

Floor stripped, & Drywall repair done where soffit was. Tomorrow tub is going and durock installed.
11B1413A-127D-4FF0-BEAF-E235ED55F058.jpeg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The Barlus I have allows you to turn off both IR leds and daylight ones. They have another model which has some sort of lens wiper (I don't have this one, have no idea how well it works). My underwater cam is an IP camera which means it only needs the one cable (though you need a PoE injector at the router too; not expensive).
how do you make sure it works with your Cam system? I have a POE injector down by the pond, one in our garage, one on the east side of the house for the bees. My current underwater cams are running on the older system, cable. I have not bought any IP underwater cams, but could easily plug it into the injector.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
how do you make sure it works with your Cam system? I have a POE injector down by the pond, one in our garage, one on the east side of the house for the bees. My current underwater cams are running on the older system, cable. I have not bought any IP underwater cams, but could easily plug it into the injector.
well, not being an expert, my first instinct is to say it's a crapshoot. That is, the Barlus comes with their own software (not exactly, but they do send you what you need on a disc or you can download from them) and it works through that. When I got my second (outdoor security cam, not the same brand), I naively thought it would work the same but I had to finagle to get the SAME software to work with it.

So, in short, I doubt you'd get an easy match to your monitoring system in place now but it's possible. Minimally, you'd use the Barlus with its own software. You'd have two systems. This unit comes from a Chinese company and they were very good about helping, especially since I had 90% no idea how to make it all work. Never had a camera system before, of any type. Once they got online with me and trouble-shot my issues, i's worked well, going on a year now. I did have a leak in the front seal, which they replaced (at my request, they mailed it so I could fix it; didn't want to wait a month or more to have them do it). Haven't had any issues since.

I say all that above because I did try and link another brand outdoor sec cam to the Barlus software and couldn't get it to 'find' it let alone control any of the ptz functions. This company had worse support and I had to research online to find others to help me. If you have a PoE injector, you'd just hook the cam to that, then to the router. I think your comp should auto find it then the Barlus cam software needs the connection info (this is where the Barlus support team helps you, in configuring the network stuff). Unless you're already proficient in that. I wasn't.

But, as long as you have the PoE, I think you can do this with a minimum of problems, since you're already 'linked' from the start.

You can research via Amazon (or website) and see if it looks compatible. I'm betting it is.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks i will check into it. I have had security systems for years, the networking has actually gotten easier over time. We don't watch for people just use it to watch critters in the yard. I have one watching the driveway, 15, well more than 15 counting the two systems, watching the critters and ponds etc.

Our IP system does have cams that will alert if a person / car cross the view of the cam. With our dark 200 foot driveway we don't get many visitors, well except ups, mail, amazon..................... We have two heat sensing driveway alarms, they alert if something warm walks past , which just lets us know our deer are eating the trees or someone is walking or driving up.

If they have their own software that is not a issue. i do like the cams I have on our older system, they show via the dvr onto the cam TV. Fun watching the fish swim by.

We even have a 4 cam system at his late parents house in florida, so if a hurricane hits we can watch, till the power goes out.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
48 hours since bog restarted- can see the far wall of the pond, Liner 11 feet away. Only thing growing great in bog is water celery, need to rip a lot out! Temps have dropped so no food for fishes.
0315211105.jpg
0315211309.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Went to the closest good sized town for a new tire and rim for the mower. Took the son and his wife; came home with several new plants, packets of seeds, and 11 chicks. No, I did not make that decision, I just wanted ginies, ( apparently my phone can’t spell those birds either) but Atwood’s didn’t have them either.
Just looked it up: guinea.
9F3770F9-2FB4-411C-9A5D-E20D2C2920E7.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just finished helping plant seeds in starter tray. So, as I was typing, daughter in law decided she wanted chickens. She also wants ducks... my pond will not be a duck pond! I’m planning a netting for it, that means ducks will need their own pond. But anyway, Alyssa decided she wanted chickens and ducks, Austin told her a limit of 10, and hold off on the ducks, and we got 2 of the last three of a type of chicken, so he wimped out and got all three of those. The third one is a bit iffy on if it will survive, it’s cloaca was closed by poo, as well as one other chicks, so I got them home, set up the critter cage, heat lamp, etc, then cleaned their butts, and left those two inside to dry while the others got settled in. So this upcoming month, we’ve got garden and chicken coop to get ready. Then I want to focus on mowing, fencing, and cleaning out the old barn so we can tear it down. It’s in bad shape, big hole in the roof. Dad suggested since these two want their own place, we tear down the barn and build a 2 bedroom house on that concrete slab, with foundation only set where the old chicken coop was so that we don’t end up fighting to run plumbing through concrete slab. Then when the time comes, if they need a bigger place, we can trade houses. A two bedroom will be good enough to start with. And since dad already knows a lot about construction and electrical wiring from when he was in the army, working as an electrician in an engineer unit, it’ll be mostly the cost of supplies if we do most of the work.

Ask a Question