Whatcha doing today?

B

Burd

more work done, new tub, all new plumbing, new toilet fLange.

E949BF10-BAE1-4CD6-B380-96381EAEC3DA.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I had a dr appointment, follow up I didn’t know why. Turns out my cholesterol is a little high. Came home, started prep on the tamales I’m trying to make, them cleared where the chickens will go. Taking a break now, next project is making the tamales!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fiber, exercise, and what ratio do you have? Mine has been high my entire life, but my good is so good it kicks the bads butt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My ldl was a few point above where they want it, but my hdl was good. I don’t recall what numbers he said. I know I need to get dads hdl up, he came home from his dr appointment with a print out of what is what, and what they want to change. His hdl was 24, they want it up to like 40-50. So need to up the good cholesterol in his foods, I’ve got a number to call for a dietician so I can talk to someone who has time to explain what foods we need to eat, and possibly understand that he’s an old school cowboy, so getting him to eat more than meat, beans, potatoes is a fight and is lactose intolerant.
I don’t eat fish, but the guys can eat that if we can find tasty recipes and good fish for them to eat. Most of the stores seem to stock farmed in Asia stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Interesting! So I need to ask the dietician about what’s best to use for my baking.... I do a lot of baking when I have time, and dad frequently requests yummies like cookies or brownies.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Buy flax seed, ground up, add to the batter, good fiber snuck in. I do it all of the time. Add quinoa to soups, sauces, meatloaf. You can get a huge bag from Amazon. Get brown rice instead of white, more fibers. Add beans to everything you can add them to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was informed just last night that I either need to invest in a fart ladder, beno, or cut back on beans. I’ll try and get some flax, good idea there. And dad won’t eat white rice, but he likes wild rice. It’s just so darn expensive!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Ordered 100 Vinca minor cuttings to fill in area of yard that keeps collapsing. Yard not ready and plant cuttings stored in water are rotting so potted them up in paper cups. Seems like they cant count- ordered 100, got 160! Have almost 70 lotus seeds from my plants from last year. Scored and soaking, some have sprouted. Just need to find a way to grow them outside without deer eating them!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Brought the pond up out of hibernation, fired up the 12000 gph pump I thought yhe water had done pretty good considering there was no filter for 3 and a half months. After a few hours the water was again noticeably clearer then it was love that bog. And I love the garden spicket I cut into the supply line hook up the garden hose refill the pipes and turn the breaker on all done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I had a thought on how to hide my liner edge, since rock is so rare around here. I need input on what to use as a media that won’t wash off into the pond, but I’d like to try moss, over a weed barrier. That would work along the sides that are well shaded come summer, but I’m still debating on the best option for the south side which will get full sun. Weed barrier with ground coverage plants, planters, or a mix of all that, some moss if it will survive.... I want this to rather blend in. I’ve just never propagated moss, and don’t know if it will do well on top of the weed barrier.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Jamie if you go tomy build site i just added a new video and it shows all the moss i have around the pond. Almost all of it is on fabric . BUT beware fabric wicks water very well the reason the moss is doing so well. its a double edge sword as it can wick up and out of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I kind of planned for that. The joy of well water, I don’t need to condition it to top off the pond! And as it’s windy here, and hot and dry in the summer, it’s about the only way I could count on the moss staying lush.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Jamie if you go tomy build site i just added a new video and it shows all the moss i have around the pond. Almost all of it is on fabric . BUT beware fabric wicks water very well the reason the moss is doing so well. its a double edge sword as it can wick up and out of the pond.
What kind of media will you be using, and where will you be getting your moss from? I’m currently planning on just gathering wild moss, probably try growing it on leaf litter compost, with a good dose of fish emulsion, and hope it fills in over time. By breaking clumps into nickel sized clusters, I hope to cover enough area, and get a mix of mosses for visual interest.

Ask a Question