j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I went for my ride but wore a mask. Fish will just have to be ok. Wind picked up so felt and looked better like it blew some of the smoke away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’d say clean the filter once the smoke clears. It’s just carbon, tiny specks of carbon, unless a house or chemicals are burned, then I’d test water conditions and watch the fish, but if it’s just trees, you should be good.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I went for my ride but wore a mask. Fish will just have to be ok. Wind picked up so felt and looked better like it blew some of the smoke away.
is that from the California fires?
j.w please give the health routine a rest if that is forest fire smoke Theres a hole lot more in that smoke than just burned wood. Any fire fighter will tell you one house fire puts out enough toxic smoke then you want to know vinyl siding asphalt and asphalt roofing alone is a very scary mix of toxicity. a partical paperdust mask will do next to nothing. Mass general did a study years ago of joggers who ran along the Charles river with the expressway on the other side of the walk way. and they found that the average jogger was inhalingthe equivalency or 2 packs of cigarettes. And 911 I was beside myself listening to the epa tell everyone in nyc , that there was no health risk from the air. Ask the 10,000 folks who have reported lung problems today and that's no exaggeration workers and people who lived and worked in the area are having serious lung issues. Paper masks are for very large airborne partials such as saw dust or fiberglass even then it's pushing it. exercise breathing deeper in such cases is not the best idea.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have the right mask, the NIOSH N95 w/2 straps. The smoke is coming from the B.C wild fires from Canada. Was only out riding for a couple hours and I took it easy. Cleared up some when I went but now coming back again. They just announced on the news on tv the ones I have are good. They keep 95% of smoke out.

Masks.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@j.w that smoke is just a dismal sight. You sound like a woman who looks on the bright side of life, and very optimistic, which is wonderful. I'm you know your own limits, be careful out there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm painting, again. What a monotonous job, I'm really fed up with it. I have to hunt some rouge ducks from my pond as well. So basically roll paint, hear honking, so off outside to yell at ducks, and on, and on it goes. Right now I'm having a coffee break.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
every time I get started on a project here it starts to rain and not using my power tools in the rain and ruining them .I did get a few things done but not much

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Under severe storm watch, flash flooding, flooding again................the rain just will not stop.

Sitting here watching it rain

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The double straps are at least a minimal form of particular mask they help but to say they stop 95% I extremely doubt. i'm not trying to knock there use at all or you using them but being osha certified in hazmat paper masks have there place but they do minimal at best against vapor /gas as the paper you posted said reducing physical activities is the best way to limit exposure. My hat off to you for wearing the masks . I know the hazards the limitations and I would still not wear a mask hell i'm a walking testament for the living dead with all the exposures I have had throughout my career.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lots of rain here too this summer. In the past 48 hrs. we have had at least 7". thunder and lightening 2 nights ago seemed like the end of the world here. Very scary. Even worse than hurricane winds. Many hrs. of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Send some of that rain my way, I’ll take it!!! I could use a good long slow rain, to refill the well and the ponds. We are supposed to get some tomorrow, but we didn’t get our spring rains, so we’ve been trying to not top off the pond so we don’t drain the well, and my pond has suffered.

Ask a Question