What's your favorite fish in your pond and why?

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
that's an utsuri. They are one of my favorites, too, nigil. I've been on the hunt for a gin-rin hi utsuri for many years, and I've yet to find one with the perfect blend of black and red/orange to my liking.

My favorite one I've named Big Ben. He is a showa that is probably 14 inches. He is not the prettiest fish in the pond by any means, but he is the most lively. He seems to be the leader of the pack and he knows it, so I admire his personality more than his looks (tho he'd by no means not handsome). He's always the first to grab a bite of food, always the first to get anywhere....

koikeepr said:
Yes, that is how my Big Ben is. He takes a nibble and then everyone else follows. Though I'm starting to think Big Ben might have to be renamed Big Bertha. All of a sudden I've noticed him rounding out. Could be eggs! He's only three years old, so........who knows!

This is pretty funny......My favorite is my first fish, black and bright yellow, BIG BEN. Must be a popular name LOL
I also like my frog, when I can catch a glimpse of him. He doesn't have a name yet.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have plenty of frogs and end up taking them away as my fish kill them and I have to fish about 10 or so dead frogs out every morning .I have tried catching them and walking down my front yard across the field and through the woods (off to grandmas house we go ) and to the stream to let them go but think they keep coming back and I keep fishing more dead frogs out every morning

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This looked like an interesting thread to revive.... My favorite is my red and white spotted sarossa comet. He has been with me the longest .. about 5 years now and has gone through the ups and downs of the pond with me. About 4 years ago I had a devastating disease problem and he was the only one that lived through it so he is very special. Also he is one of the largest of my goldfish and the most aggressive male so he is definitely the ruler of
IMG_20140616_183259_820.jpg
the roost! You can see him in the foreground on the left.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, an old thread, but interesting. I almost hate to say that I have favorites -- I had to stop naming my fish. It seems like every fish I have named has either died or disappeared.

But, my "favorites" are a big orange & black Watonai that has the most beautiful tail, and another Watonai that is colored like a Shubunkin -- I think they called it "sky blue" when I bought it, but who knows.

image.jpg
image.jpg

@CometKeith I love the deep orange [red?] in your fish! I have one comet that is almost that deep -- it's solid with a white mouth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey, Mmathis, Thanks! Your Watonai are gorgeous. re: naming i don't know if i'm superstitious but i never name mine anymore either because when I first started my pond I lost a few that I had named. I like the red in my comet a lot too. I have a baby from it now with red for 1/3rd, white for the middle, and orange for the last third. When it was born the white was a very thin stripe going around it's mid section and it kept getting wider and wider! I knew it was going to be special. I had a few Watonais a few years back that I got from Rain Garden but they didn't make it through the spring one year. It was a shame because they were so pretty and .........expensive! I might give them another try again.

Last edited:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
DSC06437.JPG
This is one of my favorites in many ways. By far not the best quality koi I have, But Toby was a survivor from the spawn during the move from the old house to the new house. He ate most of his brothers and sisters in a small pond that I was holding them in when I first found them. By the time I was able to net the remaining few out Toby was the largest of the remaining fry. Toby has become quite friendly and the blue underlying color and deep red tiny tancho marking make him one of those you don't see everyday fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 71941 This is one of my favorites in many ways. By far not the best quality koi I have, But Toby was a survivor from the spawn during the move from the old house to the new house. He ate most of his brothers and sisters in a small pond that I was holding them in when I first found them. By the time I was able to net the remaining few out Toby was the largest of the remaining fry. Toby has become quite friendly and the blue underlying color and deep red tiny tancho marking make him one of those you don't see everyday fish.
He's pretty! And I can guess why you call him "Toby!"

Ask a Question