What's your favorite fish in your pond and why?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Are any of you farmer types here familiar with the cattle breed called 'Galway (or Galloway) Belted'? Well, I have an orange-red goldfish with a white stripe down each side, and I think I'll call him/her "Galway". Trying to get a picture, but so far no luck. :(
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Those little buggers are hard to photo. The ones you want are always on the move and your eyeballs start crossing after awhile. I had a camera once that I could video stuff w/ and then grab a photo snap shot out of the video. Those work nice for stuff that won't sit still for ya. Don't know much about cattle breeds.

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
Are any of you farmer types here familiar with the cattle breed called 'Galway (or Galloway) Belted'? Well, I have an orange-red goldfish with a white stripe down each side, and I think I'll call him/her "Galway". Trying to get a picture, but so far no luck. :(
John

Know what a Galloway is. There are Galloways and belted galloways both from Scotland originally I believe. Color pattern would make a neat looking koi, think Oreo cookie.

Reaction score
I'm curious to hear about your favorite (yeah, yeah, I know you love 'em all!) and why he/she is the apple of your eye.

If you've got photos of your sweety---even better!
In my BIG pond.... my fishing pond......When I first had the pond built, I caught 12 bass 10"- 12" from my wife's Uncle James' farm pond right after they retired and moved off the farm. The farm was sold to a developer who drained the pond and built houses on it. That was 6 years ago, Uncle James has since passed on to the big farm in heaven, and those bass from his pond are now weighing in at 5-6 POUNDS. Every time I catch one we call him "Big Jim", after her uncle. Those 12 bass have spawned and given me a nice population to keep the bluegill in check. It gives my wife comfort to know that a little bit of the farm and "Uncle James" still lives on in our pond forever more.

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
In my BIG pond.... my fishing pond......When I first had the pond built, I caught 12 bass 10"- 12" from my wife's Uncle James' farm pond right after they retired and moved off the farm. The farm was sold to a developer who drained the pond and built houses on it. That was 6 years ago, Uncle James has since passed on to the big farm in heaven, and those bass from his pond are now weighing in at 5-6 POUNDS. Every time I catch one we call him "Big Jim", after her uncle. Those 12 bass have spawned and given me a nice population to keep the bluegill in check. It gives my wife comfort to know that a little bit of the farm and "Uncle James" still lives on in our pond forever more.

That's awesome that the memory of uncle Jim lives on in that way. It's always a bit sad in my eyes seeing an old farm stead being developed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Sunshine A beautiful koi. I can not wait to say one of my koi are 15 years old. I have had fish for a few years but koi are new to me. Last year was my first koi. I have a total of 6 now. I noticed the picture says 2010, is that recent picture or is the time stamp wrong on the camera? If from 2010 how much bigger is she in 4 years?

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Leo; our biggest female rainbow. We thought she was male before she layed eggs this spring. Now she's Ms. Leo. She's camera shy - this is the best pic I've managed so far.

image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
image-jpg.66981

My favorite is a tie between the two on the right side of the group. I have a love/hate relationship to the red/white one just because I think it's so interesting but also so blend at the same time so I often dont like him but I want to keep him ;) The other is my male shubbie, he has blue underline and quite pretty. Not as interesting 'personality wise' as the red/white one but I like how he looks.

I'm going to have 3 more watonai coming so my favorite might change...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nepen, Try to get some good pictures of your new fish in the bags before you release them! I like your shubunkin. It's really nice!
Sunshine, That's a long time to have a fish. I'm sure you have a special bond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
- I think they called it "sky blue" when I bought it, but who knows.

View attachment 71940
I think it called Blue Opal fromBlackwater koi farm :) I didnt know you have one, very pretty!! I just got one too but doesnt have as many black spots. Sky blue is the one without any black.

Ask a Question