What's your favorite fish in your pond and why?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't have any now. the 2 i did i lost to bad timing on leaf net2 years ago( 4 lived out of like 30). doubt next year as the few who survived made more so i'm back up to the 20-30 range it looks like. I guess my BFGF (Big F***** Gold Fish) would be close, but not a fave but more it was original to my wife's grandfather's pond at least we hope.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Way to go @Gemma , I'm just positive I'll jinx it
upload_2017-10-19_10-55-48.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My favorite fish is Big Bertha (aka Joan Holloway). She is 28" long and her lower body is still trying to grow big enough to match the size of her upper body. I'm hoping she'll continue to fill out and reach 30" long.

p0726j012.jpg

IMG_5440.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lol @Gemma I don't really believe in all the mumbo jumbo superstitious stuff, just fun to play along with it. I'm a Christian so my higher power is God and he is in charge of my life and happy I found Him so many years ago :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My favorite fish would be my FanTail goldie named Victor. He/she has a lot of personality who always is the first to swim up to greet me and nibble on my fingers.View attachment 105480
Victor is very beautiful!
Do FanTail stay the way they are or change color with age?

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Mine would have to be Nemo. She is the only one to have babies so far. And she is the first to swim into my hand. I could just pick her up if i wanted to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mine would have to be Nemo. She is the only one to have babies so far. And she is the first to swim into my hand. I could just pick her up if i wanted to.
That's awesome! I wish to have that kind of bond with my fish someday!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hey guys and gals! I've only been lurking for a while, but do follow the GP activities. I came across this thread recently and had to share who one of my fav's is. (I have four that I look for every time I visit the pond.) This guy is "special". His name is not "PC" so I'll skip that, but he is a particularly lucky fish!
Several years ago when I first got started in ponding for some reason I thought I'd "protect" the fish and bring them in for the winter. We didn't have more than a dozen or so and keeping them in the cellar with lights, pumps, and all seemed to be the thing to do.
I bought three of the biggest storage boxes I could find at a big box store and set them up on concrete blocks with a filter pump in the last box (#3) and the return to the first box. I created a couple of "U" pipes and connected the boxes with these so the suction in box three pulled water (via siphon) from box two, and two pulled from box one.
The fish I brought in were distributed among the boxes. This worked out pretty well for quite a while.
Conservatory 007.JPG
One day I just happened to be down there to check on everybody and box #1 was just about to brim over. I stopped the pump, and knowing there was an obstruction in the "U" pipe between #1 and 2 pulled it out to check. I shook it, bumped it on the floor and nothing came out. I then took the pipe up stairs and using the tub faucet filled the pipe with water and "back-washed" it until the obstruction fell out. Of course you know by now it was one of the fish and he didn't look good. The top of his head had scales missing, his eyes were dull, his fins sort of ratty looking. Poor fish. Sorry guy. After a few words over this dead fish laying in my hand I was about to flush him when a gill plate rose and fell. How could this be?? I quick filled the sink with water and started CPR by "zoom-zooming" him forcing water across his gills trying to revive him. He made a couple of feeble attempts at gulping and begin to move a little. I let him go and he was breathing on his own, but swimming on his side. Something distracted me and I had to leave him in the sink for probably a half hour while I tended to whatever it was. When I remembered him I went to check on what I was sure to be a dead fish in the bathroom sink and was prepared to flush him, clean the sink, tub, and replace the siphon tube back downstairs.
When I got back to the bathroom there he was, trying to escape the sink, swimming like nothing ever happened!
I got a bucket, put some water in it, picked him up by hand, put him in the bucket, and took him back to the cellar. I did put him in box #3!
I don't know if he's possessed, very lucky, or extremely tough, but five years later he's one of the largest fish in the pond, although certainly not the smartest.
BTW, that was the only year they wintered in......they have since survived our winters outside in the pond, and although they live in a twilight under the ice and snow, there's usually some new generation in the spring......
Pond 3-21-12 004.JPGFrog I 5-23-12 011.JPG

Ask a Question