When is best time to move a pond ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I moved into a house that had a pond ,although I didn't realise it was a pond until we moved in as it was so over grown and unhealthy.it now needs to be moved as the hedge next to it is falling in it and making a terrible mess and we also want to rase it out of the way of our small children.i love watching the fish.when I can actually see them through the murky water.sorry to ramble on I'm new to forums and ponds .please can someone offer advice as to wen to clean and move .Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Holly!
If the pond is presenting a danger to your children, then you should move it as soon as possible.
Fence it off for now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't think there's a "bad" time exactly - and the best time is when you have the time, money and energy to get the job done.

Tell us more about your pond - how big is it? What type of construction? How many fish? Are there plants?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thanks for your replies.my husband spoke to a freind with several ponds and got some advice on it all today .We got on with the job of moving and raising the pond today took us 5 hours .I am not sure on exact size but it isn't a large pond.we have 3 adult goldfish and 6 young ones maybe born two springs ago by looking at them.there is one lily in our pond and some pond weed .I do fear there are to many goldfish for the size of the pond .The pond was left untended for a year before we bought this house I'm really surprised anything survived.we are going to buy a pump and filter for it soon any advice as to what to buy?I'm really really new to this but want to take it on as I think I will enjoy it.i already take in hedgehogs when needed until the healthy enough for release why not try this too.☺

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
In order to answer your last question, we would need to know the approximate volume of the pond. If not gallon (or litre) capacity, then at least dimensions (length, width, depth).
John

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I shall find out tommorow as I'm going to be out there all day preparing the vegtable garden for planting anyway.thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1458223841426.jpg
Hiya everyone this is the little pond I inherited .my husband is sorting a pump and filter and making a small waterfall.but what plants should I add ? There is one lily in there and some oxygenating weed does it need anything else? Thanks
1458223841426.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm not familiar with what plants are best suited for your area, but your pond could really benefit from a good filter, strong water movement and some added aeration.(y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone .update on pond we have managed to sort a filter system and a small waterfall.as in picture above.Thanks for everyone's advice ☺.The fish love it .

Ask a Question