Wrinkles and hiding fish

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The problem with most trash cans is they are too thin, flexible and don't last long. However, they could be used short term while building a good one.

Reaction score
Im going to bury it in a large clay pile and run a stream down it into the pond. But if I find a large plastic plant pot for 10 bucks ill set that next to the pond and use that.

Reaction score
Today my netting came and Im getting a pump tomorrow and some rocks are being delivered this weekend. Since its small and I only have a few fish and the pump has a small sponge filter in it could I just use one similair to J.W's with a large pot full of sponge or polyester or cotton. If I use the cotton it will be changed every month. Or small sponges from the dollar store. Are there any plants that will cover the surface and can survive through the winter? Im considering keeping the pump and fountain running all winter since its only 250g. It will defianatly be covered with clear plastic for a green house effect.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Can you be more specific on your location? Please go to the UserCP and add your state at least. We cannot answer climate related questions with your present location covering 3000 miles of Atlantic coast.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Why do you need floating water plants in a covered pond during winter?
First of all they need about 60 degrees or more and a lot of sun to survive. While they prevent single cell algae from growing, you should not have any issues with algae in the winter months.
They can be maintained at a great cost and effort in an indoor tank.

Reaction score
Honestly, I just really like the look of them, Im a bit worried about the pond freezing. The pump is a 1268 gph so ill have plenty of flow so beside what ever filter I use ill have plenty of flow for a couple small fountains. I know fish are not a huge fan of water flow but the have hiding spots and spend most of their time in the wrinkles. So ill wait for warm weather to add the plants.

Ask a Question