Yellow Butterfly Koi ID.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
To answer your question that is a Ki Doitsu. Very nice one at that. i wish mine was a butterfly but I have a standard of that one. One of my favorites in the pond even though it isn't a butterfly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Fishin, thanks for letting her know! I was wondering as well! What I would like to know is what is the black fish in one of the earlier photos, that has a bronze head!!! That one is gorgeous! Great pics!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Quite welcome, My best guess is it would be called a Kin Kikokuryu. Kikokuryu is a very variable identification. They do have mettalic and in most cases have black but it's not usually a sumi black, Sumi appears as painted on black where a Kikouryu will have skin tone that has very variable colorations of the black. many look quite different than others, In the future I believe that they will be more broken up and named more as they are far newer to the hobby than say Kohaku, sanke, showa, Doitsu, etc. I have one that is very similar to that fish, but if you post that name and search you'll find that the likely hood of spotting a similar looking Kikokuryu is not a easy task. try copying the name and search it on ebay. You'll see what I mean at just how variable that fish name can be.

Reaction score
I dont know how Ive never come across these butterfly koi before but within the last week ive seen loads of them. They are now stocked at my local garden centre but they looked like ghost koi with long fins not the lovely colours like in your pics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Steve, Fishin is right. If you go on Ebay and search koi (butterfly if that's what you're interested in) you will see all colors. The butterfly come in the same colors as the regular fin koi, I believe, just with longer tails and side fins. I have some of each, although really wanted to have all butterfly, I got a sweet deal on regular fins, and I would not trade what I have for anything. Added 3 butterfly koi from local pet shop. If all your local center has are gray, then I'd wait until they have more colors. They may have bought random, and that's what they get. My local pet shop buys random, but the last time they got 5 butterfly koi along with the regular fins, same price. If you can find a local breeder, you will come out way ahead! And, what I put in my pond on July 2 have grown a LOT since then, so don't feel like you have to get large. If you have a large enough pond, they will grow. :) Even my goldfish that I put in that were maybe 2-4" are now minimum 3" up to at least 6", all in 1.5 months time. I do feed, but they have enough to eat without my food, I just love to see them come up for food. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Here's the closest to a yellow fish that I have. Fishin, care to identify it? I'm not sure what the darker scales are on the spine, thinking they are called matsuba. Would it be a Kin Matsuba possibly???
Shamu with 2 larger koi, and smaller Sanke.JPG
The other fish around the yellow one are the black possibly Kumonryu (Shamu), it has red splotch on head, and white belly; an orange and white koi (has black spots on skin, so will likely be tri-colored - Sanke?) and the one on the right is my little Sanke that has lost or faded her red and black spots.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You have Shamu (does kinda look like a big killer whale) but where is Namu?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Namu? Do you mean Nemo? :) I guess I could call the red and white one (with black underlying spots) Nemo. :) I liked that fish because it looked like white/red/white/red and I liked the pattern. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No Namu the killer whale:
Like in my signature...............I loved that whale!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oooooohhhhhh!!!! Yes, I love your animated killer whale! Sorry about that, but you did give me an idea (in a roundabout way anyhow) of a name for the orange/red and white koi. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Actually I don't think that is a killer whale in my sig but at the time I couldn't find one so that will just have to do. Maybe you are too young to remember the movie? Based on a true story w/ some fake junk thrown in for good measure, lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Nope, don't remember the movie. Maybe BMT ..... Oh, and since you said it, now that I look your signature probably is not a killer whale,but I have no idea what it is. It's cute, that's all that matters! :)

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here's the closest to a yellow fish that I have. Fishin, care to identify it? I'm not sure what the darker scales are on the spine, thinking they are called matsuba. Would it be a Kin Matsuba possibly???
View attachment 37541
The other fish around the yellow one are the black possibly Kumonryu (Shamu), it has red splotch on head, and white belly; an orange and white koi (has black spots on skin, so will likely be tri-colored - Sanke?) and the one on the right is my little Sanke that has lost or faded her red and black spots.
The yellow one, I would think is more Ki bekko, wouldn't be a kin as it's not a true mettalic as much as Ki which is yellow. The black and white could be a Beni kumonryu, or beni Kikokuryu., or BENI MATSUKAWABAKKE. Now you can see if you can figure out which. LOL beni Kumonryu will be scaless or scales onle running down the back and possibly down the sides, If this is the case the scales will be largere than a scaled koi, If it's a Beni Kikokuryu there will be a mettalic sheen to the koi, at least on the beni (Orange), or if it is a full scaled koi meaning the scales are similar to say a regular goldfish and no smooth skin then this is what you have. No matter what it is it's a neat looking and not very common color variation. Shamu is a quite fitting name for him! :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nope, don't remember the movie. Maybe BMT ..... Oh, and since you said it, now that I look your signature probably is not a killer whale,but I have no idea what it is. It's cute, that's all that matters! :)

I know you are just dying to know this bit of history...........lol but just in case:

Shamu was bought as a girlfriend for Namu in 1965:

Shamu was the fourth killer whale (orca) ever captured (the second female)[sup][1][/sup] and was the third orca ever displayed in a public exhibit. She was the first orca to survive more than 13 months in captivity and was the star of a very popular killer whale show at SeaWorld San Diego in the mid - late 1960s. After her death in 1971, the name Shamu continued to be used in SeaWorld "Shamu" orca shows for different killer whales in different SeaWorld parks.
History

Shamu represents the first successful intentional live-capture of a healthy orca. Three previous orca captures (including Moby Doll and Namu) had been more opportunistic. The way Shamu got her name was from Namu, She+Namu=Shamu.[sup][2][/sup] The very young (14 foot / 4.25m, 2000 lb / 900 kg) Southern Resident orca Shamu was captured by Ted Griffin in Puget Sound in October, 1965 to be a companion for the orca Namu at Griffin's Seattle public aquarium.[sup][3][/sup][sup][4][/sup][sup][5][/sup] But the new orca was soon leased to and then purchased by SeaWorld in San Diego in December 1965.[sup][3][/sup] She performed for several years in SeaWorld shows and eventually died on August 23, 1971[sup][6][/sup] from septicemia.[sup][citation needed][/sup] She was retired from performing after an incident in which she grabbed and refused to release the leg of a female SeaWorld employee who was riding her as part of a filmed publicity event.[sup][7][/sup]

Namu (orca)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Namu was only the second orca (killer whale) displayed in an aquarium exhibit (after Moby Doll) and was the first orca to perform with a human together in the water.[sup][1][/sup] He was the subject of much media attention, including a 'starring' role in a movie, that changed some people's attitudes toward orcas.
In June 1965, William Lechkobit found a 22 foot (6.7m) male orca in his floating salmon net that had drifted close to shore near Namu, British Columbia. The orca was sold for $8,000 to Edward "Ted" Griffin, owner of the Seattle Marine Aquarium,[sup][2][/sup] but it ultimately cost Griffin much more to transport the orca 450 miles in a floating pen to Seattle.[sup][3][/sup] Namu was a popular attraction at the Seattle aquarium, and Griffin soon captured a female orca to be a companion for Namu. The female, named Shamu, was however soon leased and eventually sold to SeaWorld in San Diego. Namu survived just over one year in captivity and died in his pen on July 9, 1966.[sup][4][/sup]
It was later discovered through preserved recordings of his calls that Namu was from C1 Pod,[sup][5][/sup] one of the best known Northern Resident pods. He was thus given the alphanumeric code C11. It is suspected that the matriarch, C5, who died in 1995, was his mother.[sup][6][/sup] As of February 2010, Namu's presumed sister Koeye (C10) is still alive.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
thank you thank you lol for the update! you the women jw!

Ask a Question