j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What a beautiful Lotus CliffandJoann...........and been wondering..........when I respond and use your name is it Cliff or Joann who is doing the posting? Cuz I sometimes think, oh I'll say Joann what a nice looking plant but then I think well it could be Cliff so do I just say, Hey CliffandJoann for everything, just wondering how you prefer, lol?

Reaction score
It's Joann, jw...
Cliff doesn't post on the forums, he's too busy being the Head Groundskeeper,
my job as Director of Operations, affords me the time to post :)

The bee has landed on the Mother Ship! :)

P1010282lotus_rev__8-12-05.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks for the heads up. So Cliff is your other half, would not want to say better half cuz that's what we women own the title for and so he is the great gardener you are talking about too. I got it now! Hope that bee doesn't lift off w/ your pretty Lotus!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my snake was the close to yellow fish I had and he is the one that jumped out of the pond this past spring

Attachments

• pond 007.JPG
    pond 007.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 253

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Love the pics! I want a lotus soooo bad, but have found NONE in my area! I guess I'll have to try to locate some seeds on-line and try to start them inside for next year. :) I've become addicted to the lotus ever since Addy posted the link on how to grow them. It's a "gotta have" in my mind until I get one.... or two or three. Anyone have any specific site that they have purchased from, or do you all have the luck of finding them locally? My problem is that only Menards locally has pond plants, which sucks. I would like more variety, but my small town doesn't have it. If there is a place within 100 miles, I would make the drive, just to get more variety!

Country if you have a Michaels or hobby lobby go there and get the dried flower and pop the seeds out. Also look in the ads for 50% off coupons, Michaels always has them and Hobby lobby had one two weeks ago in our area. The ones from Hobby lobby had a lot more seeds at least in our area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Joan, that would be so great if you send seeds later this fall! From what I read, they are quite tricky to start from seeds, is that true? I would be happy to share some of my Thalia plant seeds, if I get out there to gather them before they fall LOL. Sissy JW and Addy already voiced interest in some seeds. I suspect there will be plenty, and have no idea how they are at growing from seeds, but we are all going to find out! The Thalia looks like this: (It's the tall green large leafed plant)
Pond plant - banana type plant.JPG
Let me know if you would like to have some seeds as well. And, the closest Michaels or Hobby Lobby to where I live is about 100 miles away. And, at this point, I would have no idea what the dead seed pods look like. Do you have a picture of them? :)

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Country here is how they look from the store.

Attachments

• P1020921.JPG
    P1020921.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 234
  • P1020923.JPG
    P1020923.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 244

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
shame such a pretty flower starts so ugly .Never knew why people think those seed heads look nice in a flower arrangement

Reaction score
Sissy, that fish died? :( you don't like the pods in arrangements? I love them
and put two in arrangements, tomorrow I'll take pic's of my two pod inspired arrangements,
maybe I can change your mind. :)

Country, I'll gladly send you pods in the fall after they fall out.
...and thanks, but I don't need any more plants.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks country but I have some seeds for Thalia that I got from Larkin trying to grow right now and one has just poked through the soil today.

Attachments

• IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 212
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, that's great, JW! You'll have to keep us posted on how they do. I'm still waiting for the flowers to really open, but maybe they open a certain time of the day, and then are closed the rest. Lilies are usually open in the a.m. (or opening) but are closed by the time I get home from work. Maybe Thalia is similar .... I checked the stem of flower buds and none of them seemed to be open. I wonder if I missed them .... wonder how long before the seeds are "mature" where I can gather them. Seem to be very green yet today ... Will need to get on the net and try to figure that out! Keep me posted on how it grows, please. ;-)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It took my seeds for Thalia over two weeks..........actually 18 days to sprout so give them time. Larkin would know about when to collect them and what they look like when mature. I shall let you know how mine grows and will take pix of it as it grows also. I think it will need to stay inside during winters right? Not sure about it. Maybe Larkin said if you put the roots down in the pond it will survive. Can't remember.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Actually, I'm not sure Larkin responded to my link about identifying the plants, but maybe so! I'll go back and check. Yes, the Thalia needs to be where it won't freeze. I was told to cut them down after they die back, put in the garage for winter. The landscaper said he would put them in the winter greenhouse, which keeps temps above freezing, but barely! Good luck with the seedlings. As large as the stems are on my plant, I wonder how long it would take from seed to get to that size? I suspect a couple of years ... will be fun watching your babies grow!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
JW, I can't find Larkin in member search. Must have something before "Larkin". Can you help? I was going to send a private message, ask some more specific questions about the Thalia plant. :)

Ask a Question